Chapter IV - Raeder

As soon as they had finished their briefing with the King and Queen of the Chronos Kingdom, Natalia and Gabriel proceeded to the armory. The armory of the castle was located five flights below the throne room, and because it was impossible to see the steps of the stairs without ample light, Gabriel lit one of the torches hanging in its casing at the entrance to the dungeon. Blocks of gray cement greeted them as they began their descent to gather their provisions, weapons, and armor. The air in the dungeon stank of dried blood, sweat, and rat urine making Natalia cover her nose in disgust.

                “Why does your King want that Pearl so badly? The Kingdom seems to prosper just fine without it,” she told Gabriel as they neared the wooden door. “Well,” Gabriel answered, while fitting a giant copper key into the lock, “the Pearl has always assured the Kingdom of lasting peace and bounty. Like King Victus said, in the wrong hands, it would mean chaos for Chronos.”

He turned the key in the lock, and pushed the door open, revealing a well-lit room with walls covered by numerous swords, spears, shields, daggers, maces and axes. Rows and rows of complete battle armor and hunting uniforms with provision belts took up what little space remained.

                Gabriel knew what set he wanted; bow and arrows, fletched with swan feathers, a dagger that would be fastened at his waist, and a broadsword. He picked out his armor and shield, while Natalia fingered the swords that hung on the wall. One of the swords caught her attention. Its blade was made of silver, and the center of the sword was imbued with blued –dyed diamond. She picked it up and weighed it in her hand. Already it felt like an extension of her arm. She finished collecting the other things she needed for the trip, and together with Gabriel, exited the armory.

                “That sword you carry hasn’t been used since the Great War,” the soldier said in a low voice upon seeing the sword Natalia had picked out. “Its original owner who was the most skilled general at that time, died in battle, and ever since then, no one has wanted to wield it.” He looked at her curiously, “Are you sure that is the sword you want to bring with you?”

“I am sure,” Natalia answered evenly. She would never admit it to Gabriel but his account on the bad luck the sword seemingly carried had shaken her. Still, back in the armory, the moment she had laid her hands on the sword, she knew that it was for alone; as if the sword had been waiting for her to claim it and wake it from its restless slumber.

                They walked once again, in an awkward silence towards the grand kitchens for their food supply. Servants greeted them and handed them packs filled with water and food, as well as medicine and sleeping mats. Provisions completed, they headed towards the royal gardens where they were to meet Alexia, who would then provide their means of transport.

-0-

                A dragon.

                In the gardens, alongside Alexia was a golden dragon that was saddled and impatient for flight. Its wings were more than fifteen feet in length, and its sheer size was enough to make any man tremble in fear. Its eyes looked like liquid gold on fire, and its nostrils exhaled clouds of smoke every now and then. The claws on its feet were sharper and harder than any dagger in the whole Kingdom. All in all, the golden dragon was a formidable, fearsome and magnificent creature.

                “This is Raeder. He will accompany you on your journey and provide whatever protection he can. However, once you reach the assassin’s lands, I’m afraid his size will be of no help to your stealth and strategies. You must hide him near enough that he will hear your call should you need to retreat or return home, but far enough that the enemy guards do not find out about him,” Alexia told Natalia and Gabriel, as she handed over the reins. “He is young and strong, but you must remember to exert your willpower on him so that he understands you are his master, and not the other way around. You must also keep in mind that he can hear the thoughts you direct at him, and so distance won’t be a problem when you wish to communicate with him.”

                Natalia looked at the dragon, and, without fear approached the colossal figure. She looked at Raeder in the eyes, and stretched out her hand. The dragon huffed and raised its front leg, sizing up his new rider. Gabriel and Alexia watched in awe as Natalia took one step forward, another, and then another, until her palm bumped against the warm, scaly nose that was spewing clouds of smoke. At contact, Raeder reared his head and stomped his foot hard. He swung his head back down and stared at Natalia through his great eyes that held much strength and wisdom.

You are the Prophesied One, the dragon said, enveloping Natalia and her thoughts with his ancient mind.

That is what they tell me, she answered slowly, unused to sharing her thoughts with a magical creature.

That, the dragon said, is the truth.