Chapter 6: Roller Coaster - and an escape?

Tori's P.O.V.

Mike and I ran to a roller coaster.  What idiot would even TRY to kill somebody on a roller coaster? 

"I have an idea!" Mike panted as we buckled ourselves in.  "See if the trees are high enough to climb!"

"You look!" I yelled back.  "I think I'm gonna be sick!"  And it was true.  The world was going dizzy, and it wasn't just from the ride.  My stomach was turning, and I half considered barfing all over Mike.

"It's true!" he yelled, as we climbed the steep incline.  "The trees are tall enough!  They reach over the fence!"

"Fantastic!" I yelled, and for a rare moment, I smiled.  Then I heard it-- THUD!

"NOOOO!" I screamed, whirling around to find the killer in the cart with us, just as we sped down the track.  Mike tried to throw him out, but the killer ended up knocking him out, onto a part of the tracks below.

His head hit one of the metal rails, knocking him out.  His body layed sprawled on the tracks.

I needed to get out.

I struggled out of the seatbelt, and the killer tried to stab me with the knife.  My eyes grew wide as the knife swooped towards me in slow motion and I briefly noted in my mind that the killer wore gloves-- so as not to put fingerprints on the knife handle.

I closed my eyes, flinched, and blindly tried to knock the knife away with my hand.  I felt a sharp pain, and looked to see that my hand was cut, but the knife came hurtling toward the ground and fell softly on the grass.

I looked at the killer in amazement, not believing what I had done, and he was spellbound, too.  I then jumped off at the lowest point of the roller coaster, carefully landing on my feet.  I dragged Mike out of the way of the roller coaster, and then proceeded to drag him at a run through the entire park until we got to a restroom.  I dragged him inside the womens restroom and then dunked his face in the sink lots of times before he finally woke up.  I was in a hurry to climb the trees to get out of here, and his being unconcioius wasn't helping.

"Wha?  What am I doing in a womens restroom?" he asked. 

"Come on!  We've got to go!" I yelled, grabbing his hand and dragging it towards the door.

"Eager, aren't we?"

I slapped him.  "SHUT UP, WE NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE BEFORE HE KILLS US BOTH!"

"Let me catch my breath," Mike said.  "Everything's still dizzy.  And, wow, look at my reflection, I'm really pale.  And...and trembling."

"No time." I dragged him the rest of the way outside, and we ran towards the front of the park.  Well, I was running, he was stumbling.

"Really, Tori!" he gasped.  "I need a rest!  I feel like I'm gonna pass out!"

"I already told you, there's no time!  Don't you get it, we could die!"  We reached the trees, and I hopefully ran to the bottom of the tree and looked up at the branches.

"Oh, no.  Oh no oh no oh no oh no...." I murmured.

"What?" Mike asked, leaning over to catch his breath.

"The branches are too high."

"Maybe if I lift you up?"

"Well, I guess we could try it," I said doubtfully.  The branches were too high.

Mike hoisted me up so that I was standing on his shoulders, and I reached up as high as I could.  Nope, too high.

"No," I sighed, as he let me back down.

"Well, how are we gonna get out?" Mike asked.

"There's only one way," I sighed.

"How?"

"Go back into the haunted house."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's too dark in here," Mike sighed.

"Agreed." We walked along in silence for a few minutes.  "Any idea where we're going?"

"Just get to the point where Winnie is, and then we can look on the floor until we get to the end," Mike said.

Eventually, we got to the point where Winnie's dead body was.  We avoided looking at her, but instead searched along the ground.

"Tell me if you find anything," I sighed, crawling on my hands and knees, feeling along the floor.

After about five minutes, Mike spoke what we were both thinking.

"It's not here," he said.

"NO!  It's GOT to be!" I cried, and frantically searched some more.

"Face it, Tori, he took it," Mike said.

"And that means we're going to have to kill him to take it," I said, determinedly looking into Mike's eyes.