Carved Mind pt 5 - Drift

I was sitting on the bench as I pondered about all that just happened ever since I was transfered to that new designation. Things were going almost as blatantly normal and boring, until a woman, whom I didn't know was important, showed up. I rapid turn of events that I can't even imagine. I've heard of such plot about movies they show on Anfang. I've never actually seen one, but I've heard about them.

I wondered how Leonard was doing. I haven't really talked to him since the incident on the mining site. My mind just starts to fill with anger against the terrorists and their rebel separatists organization. I understand what they are trying to point out, but, is it really worth all the trouble? I wish I could ask Genus about the future and what he's seen. I think he's been through a lot. I could see in his face that even in the face of danger, he still shows signs of facination and wonder with what's happening.

The security barrier deactivated, I looked out into the corridor and found Scarlet on the controls.

"Come on, we don't have much time. I can't get everyone out right now, but we'll be back. I need you." Scarlet whispered as she floated towards me after pushing herself away from the detention controls.

"Me? Why me?" I asked.

"You wanted to know the future, right? The future in store for you." Scarlet asked as she looked around to see if the area is secure.

"I do, but I think I could already picture the kind of future I'll be in if I run away from detention." I answered.

"That was a rhetorical question." She said, as she paused for a moment. "Anyway, the future is something you'll have to build on your own. Once you peek forward, it means you have given up and abandoned what you have started."

I didn't know what to say to her, I think she's trying to tell me something. But, I'm not fully capable of comprehending the nature of circumstances she's trying to explain.

"We need to get out of here, but first, I'll need my ARM Gear. Do you happen to have an idea where they might store that?" She asked as she grabbed my arm and pulled me to float out of the corridor into the main transport corridor.

"It might be on the lower level at the security compartment." I said as she looked around the corridor trying to get her bearings.

"Right, I should have thought about that." She whipered quietly, but the hum of the ship wasn't loud enough to cover her subtle personal remark.

"How did you open the security barrier?" I asked out of sheer curiosity.

"I work here." She answered.

"You work here? We're you just captured a few hours ago with me?"

"Yes." She said as she sighed showing in her attempt to show that I am being naive. "Stop asking questions. I've got an ID card, so I work here. Ok? How'd I get it? Long story." She continued as we drifted towards a vertical shaft used to move between decks.

She released me and positioned her self through the shaft. After making sure everything was ok, she gave me a thumbs up and slid herself down the shaft to the deck below. I peeked into the shaft to see if she was ok.

Scarlet was ok, she gave me the sign to go next after she looked around and confirmed it was safe. I went through the shaft and a wider corridor presented itself on the deck. Not exactly how I had imagined it would be. I've always thought Anfang cruisers had less free space for corridors because in paper Anfang cruisers sounds packed with firepower and energy. Maybe they aren't as strong as I perceived ithey are.

"Where's the security compartment?" Scarlet asked me.

"I'm not sure. I think they're around that corner." I replied. I can only recall reading about the Anfang cruisers when they published a story about them on the magazines from last year. "Curiously, don't you think it's suspicious that there's nobody guarding the area?"