Running On Batteries

I can feel it all slowly draining away as you press on, determined as ever to find a way out. We're almost there, we've almost reached the surface, and I know you'll be able to find your way from here. I've known you for so little time, true, but it feels like so long. It's all beginning to fade away, and you can tell something's wrong. The world cuts away for a few moments, and I can't remember what happened, but I must've said something, because when I snap back to reality I'm on the ground and you're looking at me urgently.

You're so upset, and the desperation in your voice is obvious as you plead, asking me what you need to do to save me. Asking what you're supposed to do, as if this was something you were supposed to be prepared for. As if this was something you could prevent. Oh how I wish you were right, and how I wish you didn't have to feel the hopelessness that I can hear overtaking you.

Warning: Battery low.

Not this.

Warning: Battery low.

It would figure.

Warning: Battery low.

I'm sorry.

With my limited time left, quickly ticking away, chipping away at my remaining life force and reserves of energy, trying my best to remain...just a little longer.

I don't want to leave you. I'm not afraid of 'death,' or what comes when the darkness takes me, but I am afraid of what will happen to you. So gentle, so young. And so alone. Wandering the world, all too trusting, and all too kind. You may be strong, and getting stronger, but the things out there that you are more than likely to encounter are stronger. I'm worried for you. I hope that you'll make it, that you'll be alright in the end no matter what happens. You'll be fine without me, but I don't know if you'll be fine all by yourself again.

I try to convey everything to you as the seconds slip away, into the darkness and dirt of the room. I would have loved to see the surface with you, see where you'll go, the things you'll accomplish and see. I would have loved to be by your side for all of it, but such is not to be.

You saved me, and I can only hope I was able to be of help to you. I begin to recall the things we saw together, our experiences, and I play back over it all. I remember our meeting, how alone I was in that room, about to malfunction in that decrepit station. I knew it was useless, but I kept calling out, wondering ifsomeone might hear me; and to my surprise you did. Thinking about how you were just as alone as I was, seemed somehow comforting.

The time we spent together, looking for that strange girl, escaping the station, playing hide-and-seek with that bratty ghost girl. I'll remember it all. I'll treasure every memory, every moment. I'm glad that I got to spend this time with you. I'm glad I'm not alone right now. In this all too empty, lonely world, the fact that you found me, that you're here now, is more than enough.

Thirty-seven seconds is not enough time, it's really no time at all. Thirty-seven fleeting seconds left. That's all. That's all the time I have left to tell you everything I haven't thus far. It's time for final goodbyes, I guess. That is all there's time for at this point.

I've already asked you to not speak, to simply allow me to, and you obliged. I want to tell you how remarkable your kindness is, and how far your hope will spread, and how far it will get you. I want to tell you to never lose hope, but I have to choose my words carefully. I want to tell you that I hope I may leave you with as pleasant of memories as you leave me with, but I can't. Too much to say, too little time, and too few words to express what I want, no, what I need to say to you.

Before it's all over, I have to tell you everything. Yet, I don't have the time for that.

So I resign myself to a simple "Thank you."

It's all I can think of, the only thing I think I can say, to express all I want you to know, in the fewest words possible, wasting the least amount of time possible, but still wasting all too much.

Having been able to say such a phrase, I can go with ease now. I can leave you in peace, and at peace, knowing I was able to say what I needed to.

That is, until I realize I never knew your name.

The one thing I never remembered to ask. Of course I had to remember at the last moment.

I try to ask it quickly, hopeful.

I hope you're able to respond before the last second ticks out.

But thirty-seven seconds isn't enough time.

It's nowhere near enough time.

. . .

Goodbye, my nameless friend.

Goodbye, my only friend.