letter four

Dear Isobel,

     I very nearly kissed you today.

     I try not to think about you in that way, because although I'm in love with you (and I'm very sure of that, these days), you're my best friend above all else, and you shouldn't have to deal with my weird inner angst, especially if you don't think of me in that way.

     Today it was nearly impossible, because you were rolling around in the grass, snorting your head off at some dirty joke you told me Tess mentioned. Your hair was loose, your face was streaked with mud, and your eyes were watering with tears of laughter, and you were just the most beautiful person I'd ever seen.

     I don't think you realise how gorgeous you really are. I'm surprised that Jacob Winters didn't see how much of a catch you were. (Sucks for him.)

     Anyway, I couldn't help but lean a little bit closer and just stare. In the back of my mind, it kind of registered that I was being a total creep, but I couldn't look away, you know? You weren't laughing anymore, and I could hear you breathe as I got closer.

     I didn't kiss you because I wasn't sure. And although I think I fell in love with you a little bit more today, and I couldn't do it unless I was sure you felt the same way. Because even though I love you and I want you to know that, I have to think about how much it will hurt if you don't feel the same.

     So yeah, that's why I burped in your face. Trying to diffuse the tension. The bruise you gave me is purple, by the way.

Joe.