Chapter 2 - Extraordinary

I opened my eyes but it took a minute for my vision to clear. "Okay, okay. That's enough." Sitting up, I pushed Pandora's head away, my face wet from her saliva.

We were still inside a cavern. However, this cavern was significantly different from the one I entered. A watery veil poured over the entrance and pelted against the rocks making the air fresh and humid.

I rolled over onto my knees, keeping one arm wrapped around my dog's back. I tore my eyes away from the waterfall to inspect the twirling blue light in the opposite side of the cave.

It had all happened so fast. One moment my feet were grounded and the next my body was weightless, a force taking hold of me. When the light sucked me in, my body experienced no pain, only the warmth of the air as it brushed against my skin. During the journey, I had entered into a state of numb terror, readying myself for the pain, and my eyes had sealed themselves. Yet kneeling on the damp soil, strength returned to my limbs.

I pushed myself to my feet, using Pandora's body as support, and backed against the rocks. I followed the curve of the tunnel and advanced deeper into the darkness. I glanced back at the bright opening in the opposite direction where a greenish light filtered through the semi-transparent waterfall.

Being confused with my surroundings, I had failed to notice that Pandora wasn't beside me. I could still see her though. She was standing by the waterfall, wagging her tail.

I frowned, wondering what I was even doing here, when my eyes caught a ray of light dancing around my legs.

I snapped my head up and peered at the same calm blue circle that had mesmerized me earlier. I took one step closer. Suddenly, a whirlpool of colorful light beams broke out on the smooth surface. I moved an inch nearer, and the whirlpool turned silvery. I had a feeling that if I made one more step toward it, the power of the light would seize me again as had happened earlier.

I was marveling at the light when Pandora's playful yelps echoed through the tunnel. I looked at her. She was bowing with her legs stretched forward, her rear end lifted high and her tongue lolling out of her mouth. She let out another high-pitched bark, looking at me pleadingly, her brown eyes sparkling with excitement.

"What do you want me to do, girl?" I asked in a low voice, sensing that I already knew the answer to my own question.

I gave in to my, and Pandora's, curiosity. I decided to take a look at what was behind the waterfall before trying to find my way back home.

We climbed out into the open, next to the waterfall, onto a rocky and steep path. Thanks to Pandora's fantastic skills and instincts, we made it down onto the ground in one piece. Feeling the solid ground under my feet, I turned to take a better look at the pond at the edge of dense, lush woods. The scenery was the absolute opposite of the drought-stricken grounds on the other side. Here the forest was so green that it almost hurt my eyes and was bursting with the scent of blooming flowers. Even the weather seemed strange because the fierce sun was shining, and warm air enveloped my body.

Behind me was a fifteen-foot-high rock wall with white frothy water crashing down on giant moss-covered rocks. In the distance, sky-high maple and spruce trees stood in great numbers embracing the meadow. The undergrowth was rich with bushes of every shade of green. Some with blooming flowers, and some with brightly colored berries.

I crouched and scooped some water up with my palm. It was warm and tasted sweet.

"What is this place?" I asked Pandora. She just sat next to me with her tongue out. Her presence was soothing, but I couldn't drive away my racing thoughts. The idea that I had traveled through space started to form in my mind.