Chapter 1 - The Discovery

For as the new heavens and the new earth,

Which I will make, shall remain before me,

Saith the Lord,

So shall your seed and your name remain.

Isaiah 66:22

Preface

"What is she doing here?" A fierce voice penetrated the room, making me jump. Victor was standing by the door, his face hard with resentment.

Weston pulled away from me, raising his hands to his chest as the sign of surrender. "Calm down, Victor. I don't think she means us harm."

Victor drew in a deep breath, veins bulging on his neck.

"You know exactly what Terrakas did to us, yet you let her into your home?" His tone was harsh as if he doubted his best friend's sanity.

Looking into his piercing eyes, fear gripped my heart.

"We didn't know what she was. She showed me the Sacred Passage, and I didn't know what to do."

Ignoring Weston's rambling, Victor ripped a black bow off his back and stretched it out wedging an arrow into place.

The tip of the arrow pointed straight at my heart.

1

The Discovery

Sunlight pierced through the gap between my curtains and caressed my face. It was a beautiful morning and, after a dreadful first week at my new school, it was finally Saturday.

I used to live in Hopewell, New Jersey where I had a bunch of friends and a life, but my dad got a promotion, so we had to move.

"Molly honey, think about it as a new opportunity," Mom said, preparing our last dinner at the old house. "You can be anything you want there."

"Yeah, right," I'd grumbled, shoving a pie into the oven.

My life was perfect. I had no need for new opportunities. Los Angeles was on the other side of the country; 2,750 miles away. I knew I'd never see my friends again.

It hadn't been easy to start at a new school. All week long, instead of hanging out with friends that I'd known since kindergarten, I was eating my lunch alone. The kids at Beverly Hills High were entirely different from the ones in my old school. They didn't notice me or ask where I was from. I was a ghost just drifting down the corridors unnoticed by their Gucci bags and Prada shoes. I could feel my old life slipping away, turning into a distant memory.

I wasn't sure how I felt toward my parents for uprooting me. There was definitely some anger with an after taste of disappointment. It just wasn't fair for my parents to make a choice that impacted my life too without even asking for my opinion. I knew I would never do the same to my children . . .

I missed my friends and my old life terribly. I wanted to go back to my favorite pizzeria with the girls, ride our bicycles to the lake, and steal apples from Mrs. Collins' tree . . .