Behind Closed Doors - Prologue

PROLOGUE

I am happy. I am healthy. I am free. If I am hungry, I will be fed. If I am thirsty, my thirst will be quenched. If I am cold, I will be warmed. I am never in need of anything. I never have to ask, as I am always offered. This is the life I crave. This is the life I long to live. This is the life my mama always told me to wish for. This is the life that I do not, and probably will never live... Again. My life is one I would never wish upon anyone else. There are others, many others. We all suffer the pain together. Do you know how much it hurts to have to keep quiet? Betraying your heart has psychological strains that outweigh any physical pain that could ever be inflicted onto a persons body. I used to have a best friend, Tisha. I always knew that she was loyal to her name aswell as her heart. It meant that she was a strong willed woman, and strong willed she was! She stood up for her beliefs and wasn't afraid to verbalize them either. Maybe in a different world that would have got her far. But her life was short lived, I am guessing anyway. They took her away, just like they took my father , and my brothers. Whereas I on the other hand lied. I lied to save my life. I'd never have anticipated that I would have lost my soul as well. I am alone and I am in eternal agony. Welcome to my world.

"Dionne" he whispers.

"Yes?" 

"It's time" he mumbles.

    I nod slowly, unable to hide the flash of fear flooding to my eyes. My lips tremble with anticipation and he offers his hand to help me stand. 

"Remember what I told you?"

"Every single last detail."

"We've been through it enough times. You should be okay."

"And if not?"

"You'll be seeing me in the next life" he smiles, tightening his grip on my hand.