Chapter 9: Round and Round and Round We Go

Round and Round and Round We Go

Gabriel stood at the bottom of the grand staircase speaking with Lord Spencer as Michelle descended the stairs towards him. He turned his head and gazed upon his former love. She looked beautiful and defiant in her loose fitting, cream colored riding jodhpurs and tall leather boots. She wore a white shirt and cream jacket fit at the waist, while she held brown leather gloves in one hand, the other trailing lightly on the polished banister.

He had to smile at her rebellious nature – no doubt her mother had attempted to convince her to appear in a proper riding dress for their meeting, but Michelle had stubbornly refused. Not many women wore riding britches as the style was entirely too masculine, but Michelle was not an ordinary young woman. Gabriel did not miss the fact she was purposefully trying to appear less attractive to him while honoring her commitment to their ride – unfortunately, she had yet to understand that he did not require convincing.

She was already his – she only had to learn the truth for herself.

Gabriel bowed slightly as Michelle drew closer. “Good morning, Miss Spencer. You’re looking lovely this morning,” he said graciously.

Lord Spencer turned to face his daughter and sputtered in outrage, “Michelle! Good heavens, girl, why are you dressed in such fashion?”

Michelle descended the last step and gave her father a quick peck on the cheek. “Oh father, this is the latest fashion in riding attire for women.”

“You look like a man, Michelle,” he protested before looking apologetically towards his guest. Arthur Spencer was depending on Redgraves for their lucrative connections. It was imperative his household make the best impression possible.

“If I may be so bold, Lord Spencer, but I believe your daughter looks both lovely and quite suited for our ride this morning. I admire a woman who holds efficiency and utility above high fashion,” he gazed into her eyes and was pleased to see Michelle’s eyes widen slightly in response to his compliment before flushing prettily.

“Thank you, Mr. Redgrave. You are most kind,” she replied cordially.

“Please, call me Gabriel,” he smiled once more.

Michelle nodded but said nothing else. She felt it was safer not to. She’d only invited Gabriel to make Max jealous – his erratic behavior was confusing and bizarre in equal measure. But the closer she tried to get, the further away Max pushed her. It was maddening. So she’d struck back for once, inviting Gabriel Redgrave to an outing because she knew it would get under Max’s skin. What she hadn’t counted on was the effect Gabriel Redgrave would have on her today.

He looked glorious in his riding clothes: black britches, boots, and a black shirt and jacket – full black to her white. There wasn’t a splash of color on the man, nothing to detract from the hard planes and angles of his beautiful face.

Michelle turned to her father and gave him a small smile. “Well, we better make haste. I am sure Mr….ah, Gabriel has more pressing concerns to attend to after this.”

Michelle was his only concern but Gabriel said nothing as he nodded once to Lord Spencer and followed her outside. They walked together towards the stables set off behind the large manse, neither one of them speaking as they enjoyed the early morning sun. It was rare – normally it was rather gloomy this time of year but today it seemed the sun had won this battle.

“So Gabriel, what do you normally do for pleasure when you are not fulfilling hasty obligations you have so magnanimously accepted from women you do not know?” she asked good-naturedly.