Chapter Eight

Reader-chan POV

I walked to school with Gaara by my side, glad to be heading to school for once; mom was having a hard time getting Takashi to bathe. He never liked bathing, and to get him to do it she had to bribe him. But when that didn't work, mom had to practically drown him in the tub, resulting in bruises and claw marks.

Passing the school gates I could feel the wary aura radiating off Gaara. I'm guessing he was worried that Matsuri was going to try something again. Somehow he's been showing up after all my classes to walk me to the next, offering to walk me home after school, insisting I put his number on speed. I appreciate his protection for me, but I'm pretty sure Matsuri isn't going to try anything. I haven't seen the girl for three days.

Entering the school doors and turning some hallways I stopped at a cross way. Gaara also stopped, looking down at me.

"Well Gaara, this is where we go our separate ways," I said, trying not to sound rude.

Gaara didn't budge, a frown in his face.

"The bell is going to ring soon, Gaara. Get to class," I pointed down the hall persistently.

Nothing.

I groaned loudly, pushing Gaara forward, or at least trying to, "If you don't go, we'll both be late *pant* for class. You don't have to follow me around anymore, Gaara. Matsuri's gone. Now start moving your legs."

"Are you trying to get rid of me, [Y/N]?" Gaara questioned, a smirk on his lips.

I frowned, giving up on trying to push him, "No, I'm trying to tell you I'm in the clear. You don't have to guard me anymore."

Gaara smiled, "I'm not guarding you [Y/N]. I just, want to be near you."

A pink tint dusted my cheeks, "Oh..."

Gaara's smile widened a bit. I was pulled into an unexpected hug but returned it immediately, resting my cheek on Gaara's chest.

I don't know how long we stood there before Kiba came running down the hall.

"[Y/N], class is gonna start any second. Stop making out and get to class before Orochimaru-sama does!"

I let go of Gaara, my face exploding, "We're not making out, dog brain!"

I lifted my head to apologize to Gaara, a pink tint on his cheeks. He was staring at me with a small smile on his lips.

"What?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

Gaara looked away, "Nothing. I'll see you in English," He mumbled, turning and leaving.

'I'm gonna strangle that dog!' I thought running to class.

~Time Skip~

Walked out of the school gates, I searched the crowds for Gaara, deciding that we could work on our English project at my house. I found him almost immediately, red hair and aqua eyes not common in Konoha High.

Twisting the key in the lock, I pushed the door open and walked in with the Gaara closing it behind him.

Takashi was running around the living room, a toy plane in each of hand.

"Takashi, you know where mom is?"

"I'm in the kitchen," Mom called.

I motioned for Gaara to follow me as I walked into the kitchen, Takashi following him.

I concluded that mom was making dinner, cooking utensils scattered across the counter tops.

"Mom, this is Gaara. He's here to attempt to finish a project, not answer the ridiculous questions you have. Now if you'll excuse us," I didn't wait for a reply as I pulled the redhead along and up the stairs.

Walking into my room, I started to feel flushed. A boy and a girl alone in a room together usually lead to...some stuff. I might not mind that kind of thing if Gaara and I were dating....Then I remembered the event in the hallway, my face flushing more.

'Why am I even thinking about this! I'm pretty sure Gaara only wants to be friends...wonder if he's thinking the same thing.'

I looked back at Gaara. He was looking at me, waiting.

"U-uh! Make yourself at home! I don't know how you want to sit so..."

"We can sit on the floor like we do at my house," Gaara smiled as he crouched to the floor.

"Right."

My bedroom door opened and Takashi walked in like it was his room.

"My door was closed for a reason you know," I stated, glowering at the five-year-old.

"I know," he replied nonchalantly.

He sat next to Gaara and looked up at him. Feeling his gaze, Gaara looked down at Takashi, face blank.

Takashi grinned, "Hello."

"Hi," Gaara replied with a small smile.

"Takashi, we're kinda busy right now so if you could walk the way you came," I said, seeing that he was making Gaara nervous still staring at him.

"Aww! But [Y/N]! I want to be with Gaara, he's like the brother I never had!"

"Well he already has a brother..."

"Please! I won't make a sound, I promise!"

"If Gaara's comfortable with it," I sighed, giving up.

Gaara looked nervous. I could tell he's never been under this kind of spotlight.

"I'm okay with it," Gaara mumbled, the smile still on his lips.

~TIMESKIP!!!~

After half an hour or so we called it quits. Takashi fell asleep next to Gaara so mom came in and took him away.

"Well, I guess I'll see you tomorrow. We can work on our project," I smiled, standing on the porch.

"Yeah. See you tomorrow," Gaara smiled back.

He leaned forward a little, planting a kiss on my cheek. I felt my face burn on contact and forgot how to breathe.

"[Y/N], are you okay?" Gaara asked, his face almost as red as mine.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I mumbled.

"Okay. See you tomorrow," and with that he left.

My face still felt numb as I laid in bed, my heart beating like crazy.

A/N: So sorry its late. I had finals this week so was trying to study. I hope you like it 😺