Winter holidays

"Castle, have you seen the keys??" Beckett asked as she looked for them in the dinning table.

"I think you left them on the kitchen counter. Are you guys ready?" Castle then asked the kids, Cosmo holding his hand and Emily on his back. Beckett looked at her and giggled a little at her cuteness, she looked so happy there, seeing the world from another perspective, from up higher, made the baby's eyes get a special glow.

In ten minutes, the Castle family was in the car ready to leave New York for a while, Castle was driving, Beckett next to him and in the back, Maddy was between the two babies who were sitting on their respective baby chairs.
The radio was on, music was taking over the car and the three older voices were singing out loud, Cosmo was too busy looking through the window, but Emily was more than happy to have noise around her.

The ride was long, it took them a while to reach the beach house, at one point Castle looked at the mirror and noticed that all their kids were asleep .

"They are all sleeping" He told Beckett. She turned around and saw Cosmo sleeping with his head smashed to the window, he had probably fell asleep with the boring view he wasn't used to, Emily had her head against the baby chair side and was holding one of Maddy's hand who herself was leaning to Cosmo's side and had placed her head also on the side of his chair. She smiled at them even thought she knew they couldn't see her.

"You know, Emily is looking more like you everyday" Castle said out of the blue.

"You really think so?! Well let me tell you something, Cosmo looks just like you too"

Beckett looked back at them again and Castle looked through the mirror at the same time, they were both right, the kids looked just like them, Cosmo had Castle's blue eyes and hair, Emily had Beckett's eyes and even though she had Castle's hair, the colour was turning more like Beckett's.

"You're right" They said in sync and looked at each other. After their little share-brain thing Castle focused on the road and let out a smile, Beckett sat herself properly and let out a shy smile as well, both of them thinking how much they loved each other and their little connection that has been going on for years.

After a while Maddy and the kids had woken up and they reached the house.

"We're here" Castle said it in order to warn everybody.

In five minutes they were entering the house with their bags in hands. Maddy went to her room, the old guest room before the family had expanded to six, Cosmo and Emily stayed in the same room for now that they are babies, but when they grow up Castle would have to make new arrangements to the house, Alexis still had her room, and of course since Castle and Beckett got together his room became hers too.

Beckett was in their room already unpacking hers and Castle's things because Castle was helping Cosmo and Emily. She sat on the bed and looked around, right in front of the bed was the fire place, besides the bed there were two nightstands, one for each of them, on Castle's side he had a frame with a photo with them from the previous Christmas, in Beckett's, she had a vase with a rose and also a frame with the whole family in the hospital the day Emily was born, which is one of the photos they had back in New York.

After maybe fifteen minutes, Beckett had just finished placing their stuff in the closets when two kids and their dad came running into the room, the kids screaming while they jumped to her bed:

"Mommy, dad's trying to catch us!! can you protect us?" Cosmo exclaimed as he helped his sister climbing the bed. As Beckett sat next to her kids in order to protect them from the big bad monster, Castle comes into the room moaning like a dragon to scare the kids.

"You won't catch us" Cosmo told him "Mommy's here to keep us safe"

"Is that right Mrs. Castle?!" He asked her with a smirk which made her blush and laugh at the same time.

"YES"Cosmo screamed frustrated. Just then Maddy's voice filled the room screaming "Mom" from her room.

"And that's my clue to leave" Beckett said and ran outside the room shouting "I'm sorry buddy"

"Mommy!! You said you would protect us! Where are you going?" But as the little boy said this, his mother was already too far to hear him.

Castle ran and juumped to the bed leaving the two kids under him, the screams could be heard all over the house and then laughs, Castle was torturing his kids by tickling them till they give up. And in Maddy's room the laughs and little giggles coming from the other room filled her heart in a warm way.

Later that night, they were all in the table but were already done eating, they were all just talking to each other, like a real family. Emily was telling a story about a bunny and a cat she had heard in her school, they couldn't everything she said but for a 2 year old kid she was a really good story teller, She gets that from him, Beckett thought. after their little chat had made lots of twists, it ended up with Maddy asking Castle and Beckett when was the last time they went on a date.

"A couple of months ago"Castle answered looking at Kate with a smile yet confused with the question.

"I think you should go on a date tomorrow night, just the two of you, we'll call it a kids-free night" Maddy told them and waited for their reactions.

"What about you? and them? Where do you plan on staying?" Beckett asked.

"I was just thinking you could go out for dinner and I could stay home with the kids and put them to bed, and when arrive we would all be asleep and you could do whatever you do in you room" Maddy answered the question and that last part made Castle and Beckett laugh.

"You sounded like your grandma for a second" Castle noticed and he saw Beckett start laughing again because of his comment.

"Well if that's ok with you I think we have a date planed for tomorrow"Castle finally said as he placed a hand on her tigh under the table.

They both knew it was going to be one of those dates...