Chapter 7 - Comrade

“Amy, where are you?” Diana asked me from the other line.

“I- uh, I’m at a cafe with Lucy,” I said.

“The one from across the street? Good. Can you put Lucy on the line please?” I handed over the phone to Lucy.

Lucy listened for a few minutes before hanging up. She stood up and placed two dollars on the table.

“Come on,” she said.

“Where are we going?”

“Diana’s waiting for us at the field.”

When we arrived at the field, the cheerleaders were huddled together in a circle. Soccer players were running across it.

As we approached Diana who was standing with Sam in the middle of the group, David came by beside us.

“So what’d you do to get my sister pissed?” he asked as he jogged at pace with our slow walking.

“Diana’s pissed?” Lucy asked.

“Nope. Sam is,” he said before running back to the other soccer players. I wondered why he didn’t wait for an answer. But when I looked in front of me, I saw why.

Sam was standing with her hands on her hips, looking at us.

“Amy Walter, huh,” she said as we stopped in front of the squad. “Weren’t you the girl who bumped into Ibid?”

“Uh, yeah.”

She nodded, “I heard you were co-captain of the cheerleading squad back in Adams.”

“I was. I- I quit the squad,” I said quietly.

“Well, I heard what happened with Hilton,” she said, her face softening. “Girl, I’ve hated Mona ever since she started talking to me. I wonder how you put up with all that...mouth,” Sam said in disgust.

“How-“

“She’s Elijah’s little sister,” she said and I nodded. Elijah was Mona’s eldest brother. He was considered the black sheep of their family, Mona once said. When he was in middle school, he ran away from home and stayed with his grandfather. But because their parents were so stubborn, and they weren’t cool with Mona’s grandfather tolerating their son’s behavior, they let him go. Mona said they weren’t allowed to see Elijah. But sometimes, when she gets the chance, she visits her favorite brother secretly.

“That Mona? Elijah’s sister?” Diana asked, confusion still etched on her face.

“Unfortunately. He brought her once when we went out. And I swear that girl does not know how to shut her mouth,” Sam said to me. “She kept on asking me how I did my hair and how I pick my clothes and who’s my role model and all,” she continued.

She might have seen that I was not understanding a thing she was saying. She said, “I’m Elijah’s girlfriend. If Mona ever mentioned her role model was Anne Hathaway, she got that from me,” she chuckled.

I barely remember Mona’s obsession over Anne Hathaway about a year ago. She mentioned meeting Elijah’s girlfriend but I must have missed her name. I had no idea it was Sam.

“Anyways, if you wanted revenge, the squad’s ready to back you up,” I heard a scowl from her back “No matter what that brat thinks,” Sam smiled at me. When I looked behind her, I saw Ashley, the girl from this morning, hiding her blush. “When they first told me about you, I thought you were a spy or something. But when I heard what that brat Mona did, I figured you wouldn’t let yourself undergo that kind of treatment just to have an opportunity to spy on your enemy. Heck, I don’t think you’d want to experience that whatever the reward was.”