Chapter 6 - Queen

Lucy turned out to be nothing like Mona. She acted like a mother, worrying for a lot of her friends. She was a lot smarter and a whole lot kinder. When our morning classes ended, she felt like my best friend already. By lunchtime, I insisted on eating alone but Lucy pulled me towards their table. Ethan was already there. I confided in her that morning that I don’t really think I fit in with her friends.

When we sat down, Lucy asked Ethan, “Do you mind if Amy sat here everyday with us?”

Ethan hesitated before saying, “Uh no. I don’t really mind.”

Lucy turned to look at me and said, “See? I told you they don’t mind.”

“That’s just Ethan, Lucy.” I said, ready to stand up and sit at another table.

“I’m sure David wouldn’t mind. Especially Yana,” I heard Ethan say. When I looked at him, he gave me a small smile that made my heart flip.

“That’s what I’ve been telling her!” Lucy said exasperated.

When Diana came, she was more than excited with having me there. “It’s just too bad G is so far from W,” she said, talking about our alphabetically arranged sitting arrangement. “I always see you and Lucy talking when the teacher isn’t looking. All I get is Ibid’s bickering,” she pouted.

“Hey!” David said from his burger. “It’s not my fault the lessons are so boring.”

“Yeah well you didn’t have to whine so loudly about it. I was trying to pay attention,” Diana said.

“No you weren’t. You were texting Sam,” he said.

“That was just in French class. You were whining in all the classes,”

I chuckled as I listened to them bickering.

“By the way Ethan, you can go ahead later. I just found out we have cheerleading practice,” Diana turned to Ethan.

“Well then, I’ll just wait for you,” Ethan said simply.

“Ethan,” Diana said before her phone rang. She stood up and took the call.

“I have soccer practice later, man,” David said. “You want to join me?”

Ethan merely shrugged at him. “I don’t like your minions David,”

“Yeah. Me too. That’s why I want you to come with me,” David sighed and said, “But hey. Yana’s more important to you than me, right? I mean, I’m just David. I’m no Diana. Tell me Hale, am I still your best friend?” he sulked.

Ethan laughed and threw his burger wrapper at him, “Seriously dude. Stop being so cheesy. Fine. I’ll help you control your minions.”

Lucy was shaking her head at David, “That was a low blow Grey.”

“Hey, you have to keep tabs on your man,” David shrugged.

Ethan, Lucy and I burst out laughing.

“That’s gross man!” Ethan punched him. “I don’t think they were talking about friends in that statement. And I don’t think you grasped their idea of keeping tabs.”

“What happened?” Diana asked as she sat back down.

“David said he was keeping tabs on his man, meaning Ethan,” Lucy said in between laughing.

“His man? Ethan?” Diana asked before bursting into a fit of laughter. “Oh brother, you amuse me.”

David scowled, “I know what the statement means guys. I was just trying to make a point,”