Chapter 5

Ron didn't find out about Harry and I until the battle had started at Hogwarts. I remember it like it was yesterday. Harry had come back from Dumbledore's office, looking shocked. Snape had handed him his tears to look into his memories.

"Harry?" I asked, "Is everything alright?"

Harry clutched Draco's wand in his right hand in disbelief, "All this time he was keeping me alive...just to make sure I died at the right time."

My heart leapt in my chest, "What do you mean?"

"Snape was protecting me this entire time, he wasn't our enemy. He helped Dumbledore keep watch over me." He explained, "Neither one of us lives while the other survives, Hermione. I was the Horcrux he never meant to make."

Tears formed in my eyes, "No. No Harry."

"I have to go to him. I have to meet him, just as he wants."

"No, Harry you can't." I cried.

"I can't keep having people die for me!" He exclaimed, "I have to do this. I have to finish it."

Ron stood beside me, unable to speak.
My tears were flowing down my face now. Harry grabbed my hand and held it tight.
"Oh Harry." I whispered.

Harry turned to Ron and hugged him hard, "I'll be okay. You'll be okay."

Ron grabbed hold of Harry and balled his eyes out, "We can do this. You can do this. You're my best mate, you know that right?"

"Of course I do. Just as your mine." Harry replied, "Tell your family I love them and that I said thank you for taking care of me all these years."

Harry then came to me, looking frightened but ready to accept his fate, "I love you, Hermione."

"I love you, Harry." I replied and smashed my lips to his.

I could hear Ron gasp a little, but I didn't care. This is the last time I'll see him. And I love him. I do.

We broke apart and he kissed my forehead, "I have to go now."

"Okay." I whispered, "Okay."

When Harry walked away, Ron stared in shock, but the expression quickly washed off of his face when an explosion to our left knocked us off of our feet.
"Ron!" I called and helped him up.

They were inside. The death eaters were inside Hogwarts.
Ron wouldn't move!

"We have to go, now!" I yelled to him and we ran off to fight for our school.
---

As Ron and I were fighting off a death eater, everyone stopped. The death eater turned and ran outside. Was it over? Was this finally over?

Ron and I followed the crowd forming outside and moved to the front. There, in front of us was Voldemort himself and his followers. Although we snuck up on him while Snape was dying, this was the first actual time I've seem him face to face. I could tell Ron was a bit startled too, because he tensed up beside me. This went for the rest of the students too. As I looked carefully I saw that behind him was Hagrid and....Harry in his arms.

"Ron? Tell me that Harry is okay." I said.

Ron looked to me and then back at Harry. Without a word, he wrapped an arm around me, trying to comfort me.

"Harry Potter is dead!!!!" Voldemort screamed.

"NO!" Ginny wailed, almost collapsing to the ground.

I tried my absolute best to try and not make a scene.
Harry? Dead? This can't be real! This has to be a dream! Just a bad dream!

Through the crowd of students there were loud gasps and sounds of sniffling filled the air.

"From this day forward, you will put your faith...in me." Voldemort commanded.

The crowd fell silent, no one dared to speak.

"HARRY POTTER IS DEAD!" He screamed again, breaking out into laughter, his followers now joining him.
"Come forward and join us!" He told us, "Or die!"

No one from the crowd dared to move. When I looked around us, I saw all of the terrified faces of my fellow classmates. Some of the first years were holding each other in fear.

"Draco." Lucius Malfoy called.

All of our heads turned to him. Draco looked as if he were going to burst into tears.

"Draco, come." His mother smiled.

Professor Mcgonagall's expression saddened as he stepped out of the crowd and crossed to the other side. I think she truly believed that he was good deep inside.

"Well done, Draco." Voldemort smiled and embraced him in a not so warming hug.

Suddenly, Neville began limping towards him. The faces around me dropped and their mouths opened wide in shock. Neville? Neville Longbottom joining the dark side? I couldn't help the tears forming in my eyes as I watched him limp to Voldemort, sorting hat in his hand.

"Well, I must say, I hoped for better." Voldemort spoke, earning laughter from his crowd once more. "And who are you?"

"Neville Longbottom." He spoke.

Another break of laughter.
"Well, Neville, I'm sure we have a place for you in-"

"I want to say something." Neville interrupted.

Voldemort's hands gripped together in frustration. No one interrupts the dark lord.
"Well, I'm sure we're all dying to hear."

"It doesn't matter that Harry died!" Neville said quickly.

"Neville..." Ginny started.

"No! People die everyday. Friends. Family. Yeah, we lost Harry tonight...but he's still with us...in here." Neville pointed to his chest.
"So is Fred, Remus, Tonks, all of them. They didn't die in vain! But you will!" Neville was now facing Voldemort. The dark lord smiled and laughed evilly. "Because you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us! For all of us!"
Neville then pulled the Sword of Gryffindor out of the sorting hat, startling all of us.

Just as he was going to attack, Harry rolled out of Hagrid's arms, landing on his feet. Voldemort's eyes widened and Harry shot a curse at Nagini.

The crowd of students cried out in joy as Harry ran fast away from our enemy.  I grabbed hold of Ron and practically jumped in joy.
"In here! Let's go!" Mcgonagall called to us, herding everyone into the building.

Now the real battle had begun.
-------
(A/N:)

The next chapter will get into present tense I promise! I hope it isn't boring!

Oh! Guess what! I got a Henna tattoo of the Deathly Hallows mark! :) ;) I was so excited! I got it at the Texas Renaissance festival! I went dressed as Hermione :)
(I knew none of my friends would care if I told them so I had to share lol)

-Bree