Chapter Twenty-Three: This Is War

IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE AT THE BOTTOM! REMEMBER TO READ IT!

Special thanks to @thestitchyboo for the awesome new cover :)

... Enjoy...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Twenty-Three: This Is War

Standing there in all his glory was none other than Xavier Daniels. He looked crazy, the power emitting off him was breathtaking. I couldn't describe the feeling that came over me. It wasn't hate or disgust, but... something else... I had a foreign feeling towards this man, and I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I took in what it was he was doing: fighting my pack. He came here to fight? This is my fault? I scanned the grounds at all the wolves going back and forth, baring teeth and snarling in defense. I had to do something, but what?

"Roxie, get out of here!" I looked over to see Derrek surrounded by four wolves. My heart pounded in my chest.

"Derrek, behind you!" I warned him as a wolf lunged for his throat. Why hasn't he changed into his wolf to fight? Is he insane?

I watched as Derrek swiftly maneuvered out of the wolves attack and into one of his own. Blood splattered against the ground as Derrek twisted the animals head, ripping it right off. That wasn't the end though; more came at him with even greater force after witnessing such an act to their pack mate. I couldn't just be a bystander, it wasn't the reason I came out into this hell. I quickly moved in gear and rushed to help my older brother.

"Roxie, I told you to leave!"

"Fuck you, Derrek, if you think I'm going to leave my brother to die!" I shouted right back.

We ended up being back to back as wolves continued to fling themselves at us. I knew we would have done better with the numbers coming at us if we were in wolf form as well, but Derrek was keen on not shifting. We still kicked ass though. A few scratches here and there were the only pieces of evidence that we had been warding off enemies. Well that and the fresh amounts of blood coloring the front lawn to the Pack House.

 "Roxie, I can't lose you. Please go inside!" Derrek begged as he saw the numbers only increasing while we fought.

"I'm not some jejune child you can boss around! We're family and we're a pack. We fight together," I told him sincerely.

I began to grow tired quick. I wrought to hold Gloria back; concealing her from taking control over my body. I guess that was probably why Derrek decided not to shift; he didn't want me losing it. But he had in his human form before I even came out here. Is there something else or had he known I would break free to join him? Probably the latter.

Fighting both physically and mentally to hold back wolves, I knew I wouldn't last long. I tried to push aside the reason why we were fighting, for it only seemed to piss Gloria off. I needed a plan; something to get me away so I could regain the strength I had moments ago.

"Roxie, get out of here!" Derrek continued to scold me.

"No!" I spun my head around to send a glare his way, but turning my back was a huge mistake.