You Did Everything Right

Updating today instead of tomorrow!!
SO I WANT TO SAY A HUGE THANKS FOR 1000 READS. I LOVE ALL OF YOU FANTASTIC READERS SO MUCH. KEEP ON READING ON AND I'LL KEEP WRITING ON FOR YOU GUYS.
Alright so ily all and enjoy this chapter after the cliff hangers in the last two chapters
(Also I typed this on my phone and the auto correct is dumb because I type in like 3 different languages on my phone so if theres massive spelling errors let me know because I haven't edited it yet)
---
" Write drunk; edit sober " -Ernest Hemingway

My hands clenched the ends of the arm rests so hard that my knuckles were white. I couldn't tear my eyes away from his heart monitor. His heart had to keep beating, I had to make sure of that.

Almost every five minutes I would check his chart, hoping that there would be something to tell me why his heart stopped. Why it stopped. Yet it never changed, there was never an reason for it. Just that it happened.

"Peyton right?" Doctor King said as he walked into the room.

"No. I don't know you well enough for you to call me by my first name," I told him off. I didn't need to hear about how I should be treating patients.

"Well Doctor Martin. I'm impressed, you ran a code on your first day and did it flawlessly. You are definitely a stand out intern," He complimented me.

I didn't smile or acknowledge him at all. I just kept staring at Corey's heart monitor. He kept talking but I tuned him out. He had been trying to get me out of this room and to other patients.

My brain had been doing such a good job of tuning him out until I heard him say something about a surgery.

"What? I'm sorry what?" I asked shocked.

He sighed, "We allowed the intern that we think has the most potential scrub in on a simple surgery. Usually an Appendectomy, and we give them a chance to run the surgery themselves."

My jaw dropped. He couldn't be serious could he? He wasn't trying to tell me I was the most promising intern. That couldn't be right.

"I think the chief is going to choose you, and I would love if you would go and practice medicine before going into surgery." Doctor King explained.

I looked back at Corey who was sound asleep, heart still beating strong. "I can't just- He doesn't have anyone here. I'm his family and I have to be here when he wakes up."

My heart hurt. A surgery on my first day would be amazing. It was the dream, but I can't just leave Corey all alone.

Or can I?

"If he wakes up, I'll have someone page you." Doctor King suggested, "How's that sound?"

A small smiled made its way onto my face. Before I realized it I was nodding and agreeing to that. Before I left his room I checked his vitals to be sure he was okay.

"Listen Peyton," Doctor King stopped me before I left. "You did everything right in that code. You were flawless and I want you to remember that he is okay because of you, and that he will continue to be okay when you're helping others from the car crash."

I nodded before he added one more thing. "I can already tell you're going to be a good surgeon."

I smiled, "Thank you doctor."

He nodded and gave me a slight push out of the room and towards the ER. "Go save lives now!" He laughed.

I'm not quite sure how I got to the ER since this whole hospital was a maze, but I made it there without getting lost. It felt amazing to know that I have a shot at getting my own surgery today. Considering everyone told us we wouldn't even get into an ER, it made my day.