Chapter 3: Knights, Assemble!

CHAPTER 3

KNIGHTS, ASSEMBLE!

Being shaken harshly is not how one likes to be awoken from a deep slumber. Unfortunately for Aurora, this was exactly how her roommate had decided to wake her.

"Get up, you slob," Raine told her as she tugged off the sheets.

Groaning, Aurora forced herself to sit up and rub the sleep from her eyes.

"Come on," Raine shook her shoulders. "Get ready, because we have a long day ahead of us. Aldin is so not going to let us get away with our little stunt."

Aurora stood and stretched, noticing that her friend was already dressed. "We are going to die today. I just know it."

"If we are, then at least we'll die together."

"Do you think Aldin will take it that harshly?"

**********

"RUN FASTER, YOU WEAKLINGS!" Aldin shouted during the girls' training session. "IT'S ONLY BEEN HALF AN HOUR."

"I... think... he took it... harshly," Raine said to Aurora between pants.

"Uh-huh," She agreed.

So far the girls had been doing extra combat training for two hours and now they had been forced to run laps. Aldin was definitely enjoying their misery. As they finished their last lap, they all collapsed on the ground, too tired to get up.

"Now," Aldin said. "I want to know who came up with the little hare-brained scheme last night. Which one of you decided to come up with it?" His gaze shifted from one to the other and landed on Jemma.

"I did, sir," Aurora managed to speak, trying to balance herself as she stood.

"No," Raine started to stand as well. "I came up with the idea,"

"Then you'll both stay behind and clean up this mess." Aldin cut them off. "The rest of you may leave and thank these two for all the extra work today."

Some of the ladies gave them apologetic looks and others scowled angrily. Jemma hadn’t a care in the world and merely huffed as she made her exit. Bel was reluctant to leave but Aurora nodded for her to leave and she frowned as she followed the others out.

When they were alone, Raine sighed and turned to Aurora. "That could have gone worse," Even though she smiled, Aurora could tell her friend didn't want to start working just yet.

The two of them decided to lie on the ground for a little while before the started to clean the hall. It was only fitting that they should take a break. After a few minutes of silence, Aurora suggested they start cleaning before Aldin made a surprise appearance.

"My feet hurt," Raine whined, placing the practice swords back in their place.

"My everything hurts," Aurora replied, rolling up a mat and piling it on top of the others in a corner.

"We're going to need a nice hot bath with lots of those little scented rose-petal soaps that Dinvar makes."

"I have to have lunch first, though. I'm starving."

"We missed lunch," Raine informed her, tapping one of the swords on a wooden box.

"What? What time is it?" Lunch was the second most important meal of the day. Missing it just shouldn't happen according to Aurora.

"It's well after two. But what did you expect when we had two extra hours of torture?"

Aurora groaned. They'd have to go to the kitchen and hope the maids would have pity on their souls.