Chapter 1: The Red Hood

• Dedicated to Celina Namalambo

CHAPTER 1

THE RED HOOD

The palace hallways were almost completely empty in the afternoon which served as the perfect opportunity for Aurora to run at full speed to her chambers. She was going to be late for training and this would be the third time this week. Arriving at her door, she yanked it open and shut it instantly, making sure it was locked before flinging off her green tunic and donning her red hooded one. She grabbed the black scarf draped on her vanity and tied it round the lower half of her face.

Pulling the hood over her head, Aurora unlocked the door and rushed out.

"I am starting to really get tired of all this running around," she muttered.

Along the way, she passed two maid-servants who giggled and blushed when she ran by.

Ugh! She thought. I'll never live this down when those women crushing on me find out about the truth.

The training court was already filled with knights in training practicing different forms of combat, archery and sword-fighting. Only a handful took notice of the slender man with a red hood that had just arrived. The rest were too deep into their training as they feared the wrath of their knight commander if they were caught slacking. Most of them had gotten used to the mysterious squire dressed in a red hood that had no semblance to the national colours of the kingdom which were a deep, sapphire blue and forest green. Needless to say, he had been quite the talk of the palace and beyond but no one dared defy their commander and try to unmask the hooded figure.

The fact that the fierce and strong willed Commander Senale trusted and protected Red Hood was another reason for the curious palace-dwellers to wonder whose face was behind the hood. Especially since his sword-fighting and hand-to-hand combat skills were remarkable. Numerous rumours circulated about where he came from and what his face was like but since no one knew not even his real name, they had all let it be until the day he was knighted for surely the king would have to reveal his real name then.

Aurora grinned to herself. That day was going to be a startling one for sure.

"I'm so glad you could make it on time, Red," a bald, dark-skinned man said sarcastically. He was massive and appeared as strong as a raging bull-troll - and those were quite the temperamental green-skinned beasts. He handed her a pair of twin blades. "Here are your swords. You've kept your sparring partner waiting."

Aurora took the swords from his hands and allowed him to lead the way. "Sorry, Ram," she said, deliberately deepening her voice.

Ram shrugged. "Just make sure the Commander doesn't catch you coming in late again. You know how he gets when people disobey a direct order."

Oh, I know alright, Aurora thought. He's my father.

They both stopped by a young man perched on a stool, examining his sword with faux fascination. His longish black hair was slightly dishevelled and his boots were almost worn.

"Jonathan," Ram practically yelled. The young man stared back at him with a calm expression on his face.

"No need to yell, Ram," Jonathan replied. "I knew you were there."

"You're sparring with Red Hood,"

Jonathan turned his attention to Aurora, a smile gracing his features. "Let's see what you got, Red,"

Aurora drew her swords as Jonathan straightened. She'd seen him many times before but never had the chance to actually talk to him. This was the first time they had met face to face and she had to admit that he was quite attractive. She noticed him frown as he noted her swords.