Ch.4

Dear Harry,

You have been gone a week now. It is so weird walking around our little apartment; it has never been this quiet or empty. I have been trying to busy myself, but it is hard to focus on anything. My mind constantly directs my thoughts back to you. Food hasn't been my top priority, but today I finally decided that I should get something in my stomach. I ordered a pizza and got our usual order- a small with extra cheese for me, and a medium with hot peppers for you. 

Yours has remained in the box, uneaten. 

While trying to force the pizza down my throat, a memory popped into my head.

I was five years old, when my parents and I had just moved into your neighborhood. When I was in the middle of unpacking my dolls, my mother appeared in my bedroom.

"Would you like to go with me next door and meet our new neighbors?"

My pig-tails bounced up and down as I excitedly nodded my head. 

No more than four minutes later, I was hiding behind my mother's legs as she introduced herself to your mom. I peaked my head out from behind her legs, only to see a small boy mirroring my actions. Both of us quickly resorted back to our original position, only to glance back seconds later. It soon became a game to us, our little bodies erupting in giggles when we saw each other come out of our hiding spots.

"We were just about to have lunch, I insist you join us," the nice looking woman urged my mom.

"Oh, I don't want to intrude."

"Don't be silly!" your mom persisted. "Harry, show Ella to her seat."

I watched as the boy slowly came out from behind his mother and walked towards me, offering his chubby little hand. I accepted the gesture, our arms swinging in sync as we skipped to the table.

My eyes opened wide in excitement when I saw a big pizza pie sitting on the table. The warm smell wafted in my nostrils, my newfound hunger causing me to lick my lips. I hovered my hand over the biggest piece, the greasy goodness never leaving my eye. Suddenly, my hand was swatted away. I looked up at the adorable boy, who had anger in his big green eyes.

"That's MY piece," you told me, attempting to sound as big and bad as possible.

In my young five year old mind, it seemed as if life had come to an end. Tears welled up in my eyes, hurt seeping into my chest. Just as I was about to let the tears pour from my eyes, you tapped me on my arm, your anger replaced with guilt.

"How 'bout we share it?" you had suggested with a hopeful little grin, hoping to take the sorrow out of my body.

My sadness quickly vanished, and I wore a big smile on my face.