Chapter 3

I haven't updated this story in so long it's unreal. But I suddenly got SO inspired for a new character and I can't wait to introduce him! Not in this chapter, but soon. I really hope you enjoy this story. Please comment, vote, fan, blah blah blah. And, if anyone wants me to read their story, just advertise it below. Thanks :)

------------------

I had decided to surprise him. He had this big game coming up this weekend so he had been practicing every day for the last fortnight. He could only make time to see me at night, when all he was in the mood to do was sex. 

       I tried to put it off most nights. To be honest, I used to imagine fireworks and magic when I imagined sex. You know, having that passion that you'd just want to be one with a guy because you're so in love. But I didn't feel that way with Jason. Was I crazy? I mean, he was the love of my life. I knew it. There was no questioning it. But sex turned out to be quite . . . disappointing. Sore. That's it.

       I had read in magazines that when it''s with the right guy, there will be fireworks. I just couldn't understand why there wasn't any spark for me.

       I had come to the conclusion that I just wasn't used to it. The more I do it, the better it would get; right? So he came around every night, we'd drink, he'd hold me, tell me he loved me and that he'd never leave, and I'd do what he wanted. And then I'd wake up the next morning alone because he had early football training.

       It had been so long since we did anything romantic. We used to be so romantic. You know, picnics in the park, dancing in the moonlight; we were cheesier than a Disney movie.

       And that's why I had packed up our favorite foods, put them in a basket. That's why I was on my way to see him right now.

       The football pitch was empty when I got there. That was strange. I looked down at the mobile in my hands and Jason's messaged shone up at me from the screen.

Can't meet up 2day. Training all day. C u 2night xx

       I looked back up at the pitch, as if Jason would visualize from nowhere. But he didn't. Huh, must be in the changing rooms, I thought.

       I crossed the pitch, the picnic basket swinging in my arms. I approached the school and opened the back door. It was open, meaning Jason must be in there with the team. The place was so silent thought. It was eerie. 

       I looked around. This was the perfect scene for a horror movie. I wouldn't be surprised if an axe murderer jumped out at me right then.

        That's when I heard it. A soft moaning. Two soft moans.

       I started walking down the corridor, my shoes squeaking off the clean lino floor. The whimpering grew louder and louder.

       I was outside the changing rooms.

       I gingerly put a hand on the door and swung it open.

       I dropped the basket and the hands that were holding it flew to my mouth. The food from inside it burst out on the floor. I stepped back, shaking my head, begging for this all to be a dream. More like a nightmare, really.

       "Shit, Steph . . ." he muttered, zipping up his pants.

       He stepped over the girl he had just been on top of and tried to step closer to me. The girl he had just been on top of, the girl I used to call my best friend, Tiff, also sprung to her feet and grabbed the nearest piece of clothing she could find and threw it on her. It was Jason's football jersey, his special jersey that he had since he was a sophomore. I couldn't help but notice how it looked so right on her, oversized and sexy. I never wore it before. He'd give out to me, tell me I'd wear out the jersey's luck. He wasn't giving out to her.

       I wiped the tears away with the back of my hand. I hadn't even realized they were there.

       How had I been so stupid? Thinking he actually loved me? Thinking I could ever make things better, make things go back to the way they were. Trying to go back in time. I should've known.

       "It's not what it looks like . . ." Jason was saying, putting his hand out to put it on my shoulder, but I shrugged him off and held up my chin, looking him square in the eyes. 

       "Oh, it's not; is it? Cos it looks a lot like you're fucking another girl when you told me you were too busy to see me. Training. You told me you were training."

       "Steph, please, let's talk about this . . ."

       "Oh, now you want to talk?! Well, that's a first!" I threw my head back and laughed sarcastically. My laugh was shrill and the evilness of it surprised me. "Cos I've been wanting to talk for a while now, Jason. I've been trying to make things better, Jason. How could you? How could you? I loved you. I loved you and you knew I'd do anything for you." My voice was crescendoing until it was at a pitch not created before.

       "Steph, please, you're scaring me . . ." Tiff said. She was standing next to Jason now and I looked at them together. My topless boyfriend and my best friend wearing my topless boyfriend's special jersey. I laughed again, feeling the tears stream down my face.

       "Do not talk to me," I snapped. "Do not act as if this is okay. You bitch," I screamed. "You bitch!"

       I continued stepping backwards until I felt the hardness of the wall behind me. I slipped down the wall, sitting on the floor now. I hugged my knees against me.

      "Steph, I'm sorry," Tiff said. Her voice sounded stuffy, as if she was choking back tears and I whipped my head up to look at her. Her eyes were red and puffy.

       "Don't you dare cry," I whispered, suddenly losing the strength to act defiant. "I loved him." I took a deep breath, feeling the finality of it all hit me. "I love you, Steph. Forever and always," I said, remembering Jason that day on the beach, listening to Bryan Adams on the stereo.

       I couldn't believe I was letting myself look so weak in front of them. I couldn't believe the gap that was suddenly between us. We used to be three best friends, able to tell each other anything. Now they were looking at me, struggling for words.

       I stood up, dabbed my face with my sleeves again, and walked up to Jason. My face was mere inches from his. I forced my eyes to meet his, and for a moment I found myself wondering what I ever saw in him. Because right now, all I was seeing was a lying coward who resembled a rat. Nothing more.

       "Goodbye," I whispered softly, then I rose my hand and smacked him with it.

       I walked away, down the corridor, out the door, across the pitch, almost killing myself trying not to look back.