Chapter 1: Fall Away

A/N: Hello everyone! I'm back:)

This is my first real update in SUCH a fricken long time, and I am truly sorry for that. I actually plan on letting this idea go right through to the end, but I need a little support.

This is the first chapter of Through the Silence, and I am amped to write it!

If you are the readers of my previous story, Because We Are the Kids in the Street, I am proud to inform you that a lot of the humor I planned to use in that book, will now be used here. Further information as to why I have discontinued that book is in the note at the end.

Also, for those who like reading supernatural young adult novels, I just finished reading Cassandra Clare's 'Clockwork Princess'. It was awesome, as expected:P Cassandra is my favorite author and my role model, so if you want something to read (especially those who are on Summer break in the Norhern hemisphere) check it out!

So, without much further ado, here's the story!

Through the Silence

Part One: Silence Is My Loudest Cry

"A painter paints his pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence. We provide the music, and you provide the silence."

-Leopald Stokowski

"It's hard to wake up when the shades have been pulled shut.

This house is haunted, it's so pathetic.

It makes no sense at all.

I'm ripe with things to say.

The words rot and fall away."

~ Blink 182

Chapter 1: Fall Away

*Eight years ago*

I heard the yells through the thick floors of the house. My mom's voice was clear and crystalline, and my dad's was gruff and hard.

I set my book aside and sighed; it was useless trying to read when they were going at it like this.

"I'm leaving, Jonah." I heard her say quietly, her voice strained as if it caused her physical pain. My heart skipped an involuntary beat, and I stood up from my bed.

"No you aren't!" My dad's voice boomed, richocheting off the walls of our house. I couldn't help but tiptoe out of my room and down the hall to stand at the top of the stairs.

"You can't tell me what to do!" My mom said, furiously. I could hear her shuffle in her heels, the ones she always wore, and then a loud smack. My mother grunted.

"What was that, Penelope?" He said, his voice taunting. I creeped down the stairs, careful to skip over the one that creaked. I peered into the kitchen, where my mother was supporting herself against the counter.

"Jonah--stop--please," she whispered, gasping for air in between words.

With a sickening crack, he slapped her across the face. Her head whipped to the side and I could see tears shining in her green eyes--eyes that were looking directly at me.

"Callan," she breathed, the place where he slapped her turning slightly pink.

My father's head snapped up and glared at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. His face split into a Cheshire-cat grin, and I couldn't help my breathing stopping.

"Callie, sweetie, you'll stay here with me, right?" I opened my mouth to say something, but I couldn't speak the words my mind had formed.

"You monster," my mother sneered at him.