Chapter 11

For three days they walked in silence, pelted by heavy winds and some twisted idea of snow that was half ice and hurt like tiny blades when they pelted ones skin. No one would speak to her, Bryn, the ruin-er of lives. Gods she wished she could do something right.

Even Rute kept to himself, though she caught him watching her often. She couldn't bring herself to be upset with him though, other than one stop to hide his bacon in a cave—a distance from the city—he had been the epitome of a perfect host. Tending to the family and ensuring they moved forward during the day and had shelter and warmth at night. He even pulled the younger children in the sled once he emptied it.

The benefit was that despite his appearance the family had settled into at least a passing level of trust with the man. Eydis especially seemed charmed by him, but given that she had been begging for a wolf pup, Bryn suspected her reasons were self-serving.

What worried her most was Skuld. The farther they traveled from Skrattafell the more despondent and moody he became. He stared back toward the city so often she wouldn't be surprised to wake up and find him gone.

"Bear-man." Her father called. He walked behind the sled, making use of the compact trail the vessel left.

Bryn though, chose to stalk alongside, to show her misery and gain the family's sympathy. So far it wasn't working.

Rute was walking a pace ahead. Paws on the shafts that in any regular instance would be bound to a beast of burden. Neither the weight of the sleigh, nor the depth of the snow slowed him, yet he had moved at an easy pace, allowing for the family's struggles. Now, he slowed to a halt and turned.

"We traveled farther west than I expected in the snow." Her father continued. "Drangavik is nearly half a day back, and North of the way we came."

"We do not travel to Drangavik." Rute turned back to his task. Her father stood where he had stopped, his mouth ajar slightly. An expression of concern crossed his features and his gaze shifted her way accusingly.

What? Did he think she controlled Rute? Bryn shrugged at him to let him know otherwise.

"But..." Her father finally moved forward, catching up with the sleigh. Everyone seemed to become more alert. Her brothers, all except Skuld, stared at her father with a mixture of fascination and horror. "We are grateful for your aid, but we will travel to Drangavik. There is a large fishing operation there, the boys might be able to get the odd job."

"No." Rute replied firmly, his voice unwavering.

"So thank... no?" Her father stumbled over a stray snowflake.

Rute turned his head to look backward. He didn't stop, but the weight of his gaze fell on her father, and then her in turn.

"No. There is a Moon Goddess temple in Drangavik, when the priests there discover you, they will not be welcoming."

Her father shook his head, frowning. "I just need to untangle this misunderstanding. Maybe if I just tell them..."

"The priests of the Moon Goddess have no tolerance for magic. Talking will only slow you down enough to pierce with their weapons."

"But...we have no link to magic." Her father protested.

Rute had turned forward once more and didn't answer. She thought she heard him mutter beneath his breath "You do now." But the wind that still whipped about prevented certainty. He might easily have said "I miss my bacon."

"What do you propose we do?" Her father demanded. His tone had grown in strength, resembling the voice he liked to use for lectures.

Bryn couldn't help flinching slightly. Part because she hated lectures, and part because the man her father rose his voice to was capable of evisceration with the swipe of a paw. She didn't think he would harm them, not after going through so much trouble to keep them alive, but it likely wasn't wise to anger the beast.