Chapter 20 - The mysteries of the A354

Awaiting at the train station is James and Caspian, never have I ever been so glad to see them. I run and hug them both, “I’m so happy to see you guys.”

“I know we naturally have that effect on you, but did something happen?” James asks, taking my bag off me.

“I just felt like I had to get out of there.”

“Did they hurt you?” Caspian asks his voice menacingly low.

“No, it was like that it was different.” Before he gets to ask me any more questions we reach the car, a standard, nothing special about it car. The kind you would never pay any attention too. I sit in the back with Caspian as James drives, the past few days events catch up with me and within minutes I fall asleep.

*

“Remind me why we’re up so early again?”  I ask Caspian as I try not to fall asleep in my cereal. It’s six o’clock in the morning. I was not made to function this early.

“We have a busy day today, Ez.” He replies with all the condescending tone usually reserved for two year olds.

“Analyse and research my findings, meet the band, practise, perform and then party.” I mimic in the exact same voice he used to wake me up.

“Eat faster! We have to stick to the schedule!”

I sigh in despair, “are you always a control freak?”

“Nope, in fact I know plenty of times were I do the exact opposite.”

“I’d like to see that.” I grumble, only realising that I’ve indirectly told him to ask me out on a date, because really nobody (unless you’re weird like that) is intentionally boring on a date.

Ugh.

For a clever person I really am stupid.

He smiles and simple says, “Some other time, don’t worry.” Which leaves me to breathe a very audible sigh of relief. 

We head straight to the admin building where Caspian had the ‘foresight’ to book as a room. Because the research rooms would have really all been taken on a Saturday morning. 

I’ve bought the articles with me with that and the search for the estate we have our hands full. I input Drake and Kyle’s data into our property search engine and leave it to run.

As I’ve done this, Caspian begins reading through the articles. He hands me the loose articles I found and begins to read through the newspaper. I thought it a little odd that it was the only one there, as everything else were loose articles.

I read through each carefully, getting more and more frustrated they were all about something totally irrelevant, one on the increase of drug abuse in Dinting, really – Dinting has drug problem? The idea was almost laughable, it’s a village – how much of a problem is it?

Another article was a detailed history of Dinting and how it became so well developed, yes because one diner, a corner shop, a miss it and you’ll blink library and a high school class as ‘well developed’.

But the next article is interesting, it talks of the Dinting fair, and annual event where they raise money for the community, apparently.

The Dinting Gazette

July 31st 2006

A beautiful Sunday afternoon was the back drop to this years annual Dinting fair, the event a project run by Clara Pasquali was one that united the whole of the community.

Each year Mrs Pasquali organises the event in a bid to raise money for various community projects. Last year £1,500 was raised and was used to renovate the overgrown, park –come –wasteland. The park was cleaned up and new plants, benches and swing sets were added.