Choosing

Age:19

There were so many applications. Over a thousand, I guessed. And I had to choose only 35? Was that even possible? Why couldn't we just do it at random like Father did?

I stared down at my desk, the piles and piles of paperwork on The Selection growing each day. All this for a wife? I sighed and slumped myself down into my chair, giving up on the hope of avoiding all of this.

The applications ranged from "There's no way in Hade's name you'll be coming here" to "Hey, you're ok. I guess you can try. You've also got an impressive list of talents, so I guess that's good. Your caste is good, too- eh, all of them are."

But there were the few that made my heart race. Four, actually. The girls were not only beautiful with huge beaming smiles, but they had a very long list of things they were capable of. Celeste, a brunette with long hair and deep brown eyes, stood out to me first. Then I noticed Marlee, a Four. And then Natalie, a Four.

I sat slumped over, fingering through the files until I saw the most amazing picture. The girl had bright green eyes and the most beautiful face. Her long fiery red hair fell over her shoulders perfectly, and the smile on her face was stretched across from ear to ear. The sparkle in her eyes hinted at a feeling of love. And whether I know if that look was for me or someone else, I still saw her beauty. I pulled out the application and looked at the name.
America Singer: Five

I set her file aside with the other girls I had chosen. I couldn't wait to meet her. The moment I saw her picture, I knew that she would be in the top three. She really was beautiful- the one thing I hope is that she doesn't have a temper...

~~~

I read through the last four applications that lay on my desk with tired eyes. I had finally gotten through the paper work I had avoided for the past two days.

I glanced at the time. 11:17. I started my work right after supper, so around 5:30. Almost six hours I had sat in my desk reading through the endless papers of the poor girls who wanted this so badly, but only chose one out of everyone- Miss America Singer.

I stood up and went to my bed, flopping down on it and not even bothering to change out of my clothes. Just three more days. Three days until everyone would know who I invited to this competition. My eyes shut and almost immediately I fell asleep.