Chapter 19 When Walls Crumble

"Your taxes are filed." I announce, setting the stack of papers in Bill's waiting hands. I stopped over at his place to drop them off, I was done looking at them and finished being nervous about being in charge of them.

"This isn't an April fool is it?"

"No sir, I saw the accountant last night, it's all done."

"Great! Now, will we see you tomorrow at the greenhouse?"

My heart stops for a second and I take a step back. The sharp pain in my shoulder reminds me of the trauma I suffered at the greenhouse.

"Too soon?"

I nod my head.

"Well..." He scratches the back of his head. "Tori is back at the greenhouse... she has a few consultations scheduled, could I shift them to you? They are bigger accounts."

"Wouldn't she mind?" I am more afraid of the greenhouse at this point than any client he could give me.

"No, I think Tori is much more suited for the greenhouse." From his tone I can tell that something must have happened and I try to ignore it the best that I can.

"You're the boss." I give him a half hearted smile.

"Okay, hold on."

He leaves me standing at his front door and I lean against the frame.

"Here you go." He brings back a stack half as big as I just unloaded. "Murphy's needs to be done in the afternoon on Wednesday... and Hayes' is scheduled for Friday after 5." He shifts the papers into the crook of my good arm.

"Thanks." I turn to go and almost run into a tall blond... someone who is not Samantha. "Sorry." I look back at Bill as I walk away and he avoids my gaze. Too bad, I liked Sam.

I watch my feet as I board the bus to avoid contact with a single human. My arm throbs and the papers are weighing me down, stuck in my right arm. I feel so tired, but I'll sort through the jobs tonight, the pain and memories won't let me sleep until I'm about ready to drop dead.

It's nearly 9 by the time I get home and within 10 minutes the floor and coffee table in my living room is covered in papers. My fingers stop when I get to the folder marked 'Hayes'. Now, Hayes is a common last name so when Bill said it I didn't think twice, but opening the folder I see a familiar address. 'What did I get myself into?'

Talking to people is one of my biggest fears, and for me to request field work without my team... well that's really something. Now Friday is going to come quick and this week is going to be a bad one.

Jade walks over the papers and I pull her into my lap, leaning against my couch and scratching her behind her ears. Yes this is going to be a long week.

.....

"How's it been going?" Tiffany sounds happy, the exact opposite of what I am.

"A nightmare, how about you?"

"Great! I'm sure you're ready for the weekend... any plans?"

"Nope, the usual."

"Do you want to come over?"

"No, I'll be fine... waiting to get confirmation if the twins need watching."

"Okay, well-"

"Listen, I've got an appointment... can I call you back after?"

"Of course!"

I hang up my phone and pull up to the house. Deep breaths, I can do this. I take the sling off, it needs to stay on for another 2 weeks but I am so over it. Besides, 4 days without both hands to use a camera, no easier way to feel useless and ridiculous.