ᴥEpiphanyᴥ

While I was in the bathtub soaked in water with ice cubes, I thought. Mostly, I thought of what Dad said before he had his kicking fest. The part of Mayor Helen Thompson having twelve sons newly enrolled in public schools all of them around my sisters’ age. I can only think of one group of boys/brothers who fits that description to a tee.

            Castor Thompson, and his brothers. The one boy who makes my heart feel crazy is also the same boy who will have the terrible fortune to meet my Dad.

            Oh and don’t worry. I’m angry too. After all, Castor could have told me he was the Mayor’s son. It would have been the right thing to say and to do. So why not? Is that what his big secret is? If it is—then it’s a ridiculous one.

            Today is a new day. No more am I thinking of these thoughts in an ice cubed tub full of water. No. I’m awake and can see the light faint rays of sunlight shining in our room.

            Usually, I’m the first one to get up, but Agate is by my bed looking down at me. “I was afraid you would never wake up for a moment,” she replies with a relieved smile. I weakly smile back as I slowly get up on my elbows.

            “I am not late for school am I?”

            “No, you still have half an hour to get ready. And don’t worry about your homework. Emerald did it for you last night while you were resting. Just put your name on the top of it.” Agate lifts my heavy backpack on my side. I zip it open and retrieve my homework folder. When I open the folder, all of the pages are written on.

            Emerald stops by my bed and says with a shrug, “I made sure I had some answers wrong so that you can keep your B average.”

            Laughing lightly, I put my folder in my backpack, “Thanks, Emerald.” I look at Agate again and ask, “Are you going to help me get ready?”

            Agate cocks her head to the side and says, “Well, it depends on how you feel.” She hands me my water bottle with my name written in permanent marker on the smooth clear plastic. I take a swig of water and sit up all the way and sweep my legs on the edge of my bed.

            “I think I’ll be okay,” I reply as I remember when Castor healed me so easily, so—unnaturally. Immediately I regret my words. My feet feel too light for my body and just like that I collapse on my knees. Agate helps right me up again and doesn’t bother to comment on my slip up. Instead, she pulls me slowly towards the bathroom where my clothes are resting at the edge of the sink.

            She closes the door and lets me go as she says, “I’ll let you dress by yourself. Lean on the door if you need to all right?”

            “Sure,” I reply with a shrug.

            When the door clicks I examine what clothes have been chosen for me. My sisters in the past have chosen my clothes before when I was asleep. I don’t particularly trust elementary students with my dressing choices.

            “Let’s see,” I whisper as I open up a shirt with long sleeves and a dark brown color. I also unfold dark faded jeans with the brand name Levi on them.

            Looking at myself in the mirror I smile at my crazy bed hair. Grabbing a brush from the cabinet I check to see if there are any hairs on the brush. There is. Ugh, I bet Amber forgot to throw the excess hair away again. I frown as I pull her hair between my fingers and throw a ball of hair in the trash. Washing hands after having that kind of ordeal doesn’t sound like such a bad idea.