ᴥA Date with Fateᴥ

“What do you think?” asks Tamara as she hands me photo after photo of formal black dresses. Each dress has a gothic theme to them. And each dress in the picture is worn by her.

            “Did your Moms get you all of these dresses?” I ask her.

            “Not exactly; they got them for me so that I can choose which one I want. But they’re going to return the dresses I don’t want back. The problem is that I like all of them!” Tamara pouts as Samuel Clemens passes by our locker.

            He glances down at the pictures and whistles loud enough that it echoes in the hallway. “Those dresses are hot, Tam-Tam.”

            Tamara rolls her eyes as she tilts her head all the way up to look at him. “Only you would think like that Sam-Sam.” I look at Samuel and see how he scrunches his nose at Tamara’s nickname for him.

            He straightens his plaid shirt as he asks her, “Can’t you take a compliment for once?”

            “Of course I can,” replies Tamara as she loops elbows with me. “Thank you Sam-Sam. Now will you please go? Die and I have some very important matters to discuss.” She dismisses him by pulling me forward towards the cafeteria, towards lunchtime, and towards Castor.

            “Tam I have to—”

            “I can’t believe that jerk Samuel! One day I will seriously kick his ass,” she growls. I look down at her surprisingly. Tamara has never been mad at Samuel before. It’s not like they’re friends, but she’s never been infuriated at him for anything. They just usually poke and jab at each other with words and go their separate ways. “Did you see what he did? Whistling so that the whole freaking hallway can hear?”

            “Maybe he’s just saying that you’re hot Tam. I thought that a guy thinking that about a girl was a good thing.” Tamara stops me with her hand against my chest.

            She smirks as she replies, “Just because a guy tries to tell a girl that she’s hot does not a good thing make. Anyway, he just did that to push my buttons.” She glances at Samuel behind us walking the opposite direction of the hallway to get to his locker. “That dude might dress like a sweetheart, but he doesn’t have a caring bone in his body.”

            “Tam—I have to—”

            Bzzzt. “Ugh! Seriously,” says Tamara as she checks her IPhone. “Moms want to know the decision on the dresses now? Could they be any more inconsiderate? I only tried the dresses last night, what the hell do they want from me those crazy ass bi—”

            “TAM!” I yell. I blush as I notice that some kids in the lunch line stop to look at me. I’m not one to get noticed or to yell at school.

            “What?” asks Tamara, with a face full of shock.

            “I have to tell you something. Today, I’m going to be having lunch with Castor,” I reply. Tamara’s eyes widens, making her eyes the size of salt shakers.

            “Really?” she asks with a raised eyebrow.

            “Really.”

            “Well, I guess you should…you know, go and find him after we get our food. Oh, and while we’re on the subject, why didn’t you tell me this earlier? Or better yet, yesterday.” Tamara’s eyes narrow at me, and I let a dry gulp overtake my nerves.