I found an abandoned baby... Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Amoreena's POV

     I rushed to Eric's apartment as soon as I was done at work, still dressed in a blue bikini top and swim trunks.  There was something up with Chris, I just knew it, and if he wasn't feeling better by the time I got there, I was taking him to a doctor.  Eric didn't disagree when I'd called and told him, and that alone said how scary the situation was getting.

     Two days had passed since we went to the park with Emily and her parents, and Chris was getting progressively worse since then.  He didn't like to eat anything, and he took random and frequent naps, even though he'd stopped napping when he was a year old.

     I took the key to Eric's apartment building out of my beach-bag and opened the door, then closed it and relocked it.  Eric must have heard me, because he opened his apartment door before I got to it.  "Is Chris alright?" I asked, hugging Eric tightly and kissing him.

     "He's asleep," my boyfriend replied, putting a hand around my waist and bringing me inside.  "He seems a little better after he's slept, so I figured I'd leave him."

     "How long has he been asleep?" I asked.

     Eric hesitated and looked away from me.  "Three hours now.  If he doesn't wake up in time for dinner, I'll wake him."

     Tears stung my eyes.  "I want to take him to a doctor.  I'll take off work tomorrow," I said, my voice far from steady.

     For once, Eric nodded in agreement.  He didn't like doctors and felt that they were "useless, cash-hungry bastards" most of the time, so he must have been really worried about Chris.  "We'll leave first thing in the morning."  Eric hugged me again, lying his cheek on the top of my head.  "He'll be okay, baby."

     "I hope so," I said.  We stayed like that for a minute before I pulled away.  "I'll go make an appointment.  I don't wanna sit in the Emergency Room for hours."

     Eric nodded.  "I'll make spaghetti or something for dinner."

     "Alright," I said, dialing the doctor's office from Eric's house phone.  While it rang, I took a shirt from my side of Eric's closet and pulled it on.  I quickly set up the appointment, insisting that I needed to take Chris there as soon as possible.  After lots of persuasion, the doctor agreed to squeeze Chris in around noon.

     I walked into Chris's room to see him sleeping in his Batmobile bed.  Sighing, I sat on the floor next to it and brushed his hair away from his face.  The skin on his forehead felt cold but damp as I wiped it.  There was no color in his face, which made me even more worried.  He was always pale since he couldn't go out in the sun, but he usually had a healthy light pink flush in his cheeks.

     A few minutes later, Eric called, "Dinner's ready."  The shout didn't rouse Chris even a little bit.

     "Chris," I said in a soft tone, stroking his hair back from his forehead.  "Come on, cutie, it's time to eat."

     Slowly, he opened his eyes, then smiled when he saw me.  "You came back from work?"

     "Mm-hmm," I said, swallowing tears at how weak his voice sounded.  "Come on; Daddy made dinner."

     Chris sat up and rubbed his eyes.  "I can't eat," he said.

     I insisted.  "You have to eat something, Chris."

     He shook his head.  "My throat hurts.  I can't."

     "You mean you can't swallow it?"