Chapter Twenty Three

A/N: Hello everyone! How's your weekend so far? Mine's going great so since I'm in a very good mood, I thought I'd post a new chapter for all of you.

I want to dedicate this to WeAreHurricane for being a big fan of this book and reaching out to me with cover ideas. She's a talented writer and cover maker so make sure to check out her page. 

Thank you once agian for all your support and keep on voting and commenting! And if you love this book, spread the word! =)

***

We left for the twin’s town house before noon.

I was nervous to attend the first family gathering with Sebastian but he assured me it would be very low-key. I changed outfits at least half a dozen times before deciding on a salmon-colored, long-sleeved baby doll dress paired with dark brown wool leggings and tan riding boots.

Sebastian was simply dressed in a chocolate brown cashmere sweater, dark jeans and a black wool long coat.

We carried out the dessert I made (the second batch I made because I gorged down the first one I made last night after sex), two bottles of champagne and one of sparkling apple juice which I brought along for myself.

Sebastian drove us this time, having given the staff the day off including most of his security team.

The twins’ place was a modern, white stone block house in a strip of fancy and unique townhouses in a revitalized area by Sidley Yard, Cobalt Bay’s oldest neighborhood that have successfully converted into an upscale melting pot of shopping, tourism and urban living.

Marcus met us by the door with a grin and how-are-yous. He gave me a quick, half-hug and Sebastian a clap on the shoulder before showing us in.

The main room was bright and airy from the large glass windows, the furniture all modernized and cheerful with their pops of color. 

“That smells wonderful,” I said, surprised that the smell of roasting turkey and vegetables in the air wasn’t causing my stomach to roil, as Marcus took the food and champagne bottles from us as we slipped off our coats and hung them inside the front closet. “Where is everybody?”

“Only me and the twins here so far,” Marcus said as we followed him past the living room and into the kitchen where both Lexie and Charlie were bent over the oven, basting a giant turkey from what I could see from across the room.

“Cassie! Seb!” Lexie greeted excitedly, discarding her oven mitts on the counter before skipping over to wrap me and her brother in a hug. She was dressed casually today as well in crisp and slim red slacks, an oatmeal-colored cable knit sweater, her short bob held back by a dark pink satin band. “I’m so glad you two decided to attend. Charlie is going to outdo himself this year, as he promised, and we’re all going to have a blast.”

I laughed and waved to Charlie who shut the oven close and pulled me for a quick hug. “If it’ll taste half as good as it smells, I’m sold. What can we do to help though?”

“I’ll get started on the corn pudding in a couple of hours and then the second dessert right after that,” Charlie said as he walked to the large, wall-sized refrigerator in the kitchen corner. “The rest of the dinner’s ready to go so we have time to have a bottle of beer, enjoy some snacks I’ve set aside and maybe shoot a few rounds of pool. How about that?”

“Hand me a beer and a pool stick,” Sebastian quipped, bringing out a few chuckles, before taking the bottle his brother offered.

“What will you have, Cass?” Charlie asked. “If you don’t want beer, Lexie can mix you up a cocktail.”