Chapter Twelve

A/N: Hello everyone! Welcome to Part Two. I decided to merge these two books together so I got rid of the second book's blurb, meaning you won't have any idea where the rest of the story is going—which makes it fun! 

Thank you for all the continued support and love you've shown this book. Keep reading, voting, commenting. I want to know if this story is readable enough to be a real book. You guys tell me.

Here you go... =)

***

Cobalt Bay, California

September 5, 2012

“Well, this is swanky.”

I glanced around the spacious, fully-furnished apartment full of natural light and softened by romantic yet neutral colors, and grinned at Emma who was peering at a large spiral seashell she’d lifted from a clear glass bowl full of decorative shells, starfish and sand.  

“Don’t you just love it?” I asked happily before plopping down on the pale, blue-green sofa parked across the narrow glass french doors that led to the cozy balcony overlooking the building’s courtyard in the back.

Emma put the shell back down and stood by the window next to the french doors, peering outside. “Oh, I love it, alright. It’s perfect for you with the full wall of bookshelves, the balcony, the courtyard, the office with the daybed, the whimsical wall art. It’s almost too perfect.”

I straightened at her statement. “Well, I did tell them what I wanted in an apartment. I just had no idea they sprung for accommodations and happened to find the perfect place for me.”

“For higher positions, yes, I can totally see that,” Emma said as she sank down on a bright yellow armchair across me. “But for a junior business analyst, I’m not so sure. The linen closet has extra towels and bedsheets, for God’s sakes. But then again, TVG is a pretty big company so who knows.”

“Burkett said not all newbies get it,” I told Emma, recalling the conversation I had with the administrator for the private foundation which sponsored me throughout college. “But since they’ve had their eye on me long before I graduated, I’ve been packaged with a good starting salary, a one-year contract and a year-long paid lease on a decent apartment which I could renew and keep at a subsidized rate for another three years should I stay on.”

I didn’t mention the offer to include car service but I’d turned that down since I preferred the pedestrian lifestyle I’ve gotten used to during college.

Emma raised a brow at me. “Are you sure it’s not someone very specific and important in the company who has his eyes on you?”

I rolled my eyes and shook my head. “I know what you’re thinking, Em. Trust me, it had crossed my mind a few times but the company has over thirty-thousand employees worldwide. I doubt they report a list of interns and newbies to him.”

I picked at the corner of a throw pillow and glanced away. “Besides, we haven’t spoken or seen each other in four years. He probably doesn’t even remember me.”

Emma snorted and got up on her feet right after the buzzer sounded. “Sure, keep telling yourself that. We all know better.”

“Em,” I reminded softly.

“Hold up,” she said, scooting towards the door. “Ty’s here. I’ll go help my poor boyfriend before he crumbles with the weight of your tremendous three-suitcase luggage—your entire life.”