Chapter 14

Annoying Pinspiration Quote #14

"What's left unsaid, says it all."

Opening day was cranking; the concept of organic coffee and wholefoods had lured out every caffeine addict and the foodie in the Melbourne City area, and we'd been flat out since we opened the doors at seven. The chickens kept the kids entertained out the back as parents sat nearby, enjoying smoothies and the spring sun. People commented on the quaint décor, the quality of the produce, and again and again we heard the phrase, "We're so glad you guys have opened here!"

At about two o'clock, I paused and looked around, satisfaction glowing in my chest. Sure, a busy first day didn't mean smooth sailing forever, but it was a damn good start. Dad and I had been run off our feet serving and clearing, while Rupert was being an absolute angel in the kitchen.

Checking on him, I poked my head into the kitchen. He was singing happily, blending smoothies with his trade-mark hair tucked into a genuine chef's hat he'd found in a costume shop. It didn't matter what he wore; I knew what was underneath and he was gorgeous through and through. My heart flip-flopped and I said, "Hey, Rupert."

"How many times do I have to tell you people – call me Chef!" he raged dramatically, coming towards me and pulling me into a full-body embrace. "Or you can call me Any-time."

"Hey, Chef." I kissed his lively lips, melting into him and enjoying the moment. "We're a little quieter if you want to take a break for a few minutes."

"How about I finish up these and then steal you upstairs for an inappropriate make-out session?" He waggled his eyebrows at me.

"Inappropriate how?"

"We could snog on your dad's bed?"

"Um, no. Not sexy."

"Fine," he said, resigned. "I'll think of something."

"You always do." I squeezed his butt. "For the record, a regular make-out session is fine."

He shivered as I traced my fingers around the lines of his chest. "God, woman, you melt me. I can't wait to see you in a bikini on a white sand beach in a few weeks."

"I'm against bikinis."

"On religious grounds?"

"No, on the grounds that I don't like having to fish the bottoms out of my butt crack every two seconds and having the straps dig into my neck from holding up my boobs."

"Well, that's an easy fix – nude it is!"

"I'm not sure how the other guests will feel about that."

"I guess we'll just have to stay in bed then and save you from the horrors of bikini-dom."

We were about to kiss again when Dad yelled out, "Daughter? Here, please!" from the counter.

"Ugh. Coming! I'll see you in a few," I said, leaving Rupert to his smoothie duty.

He talked to the fruit as he filled the blenders. "Alright, everyone in! No, come on now strawberries, don't look at me like that. It's your fault for being delicious."

Giggling, I hurried out to Dad. "What's up?"

Solemnly, he pointed to the other side of the seating area. "We have visitors."

Cody and Savannah stood there admiring the wall art, arms around each other's waists, and immediately, my stomach churned with jealous acid. Stop it, I chided myself. You literally had your tongue in a guy's mouth sixty seconds ago. You don't get to be upset by this.