6. The Long and Winding Road

The gruff sound of it was sending shivers down her back and she knew exactly who it was. This was exactly what happened when one overslept.

"You could say that," she muttered and continued to shove food into her mouth, not noticing the taste anymore.

"If I'd known food was the way to your heart, I'd have brought you a deer or something last night," he continued and she could hear the smirk in his voice.

"Wouldn't have worked for you."

"Really? You seemed pretty into me there for a while. Or maybe you just lick the face of every guy you come across during full moon?"

Vanessa froze for a second and slowly put down her fork before she stabbed him with it.

"Well obviously I have incredibly low standards," she said and met his gaze for the first time.

He was scowling at her with narrowed eyes, the newspaper lying discarded beside him.

"Why did you run away?"

"I always run away if, you know, the licking isn't up to scratch," Vanessa muttered. "You clearly didn't get the message," she added and got to her feet to put her plate in the dishes.

He immediately stood up.

"Where are you going?" he snapped.

"Erm, I'm putting this in the dishwasher," she said and wondered how the hell she was going to get past him now.

Though this could be a blessing in disguise. If they could talk, fully clothed, like actual people, instead of growling like animals she might be able to get him to stop following her and they could both go their separate ways.

"Here, let me help," he said and grabbed her plate from her, quickly stacking it in the dishwasher.

"Thank you. Listen ..." she started and stopped as he turned back to face her and she realized that there were only a few inches of space between them. 

How had he gotten so close? She drew a sharp breath and instantly regretted it as the scent of him filled her nostrills. Why did he have to smell so ... mouthwatering?

He was staring down at her, the scowl was gone, but his eyes were still sprakling with anger and something else. He bent his head slowly and she could feel his breath on her face, those green eyes coming closer to her until she felt like she was drowning in them. 

Her breath caught and her heart was beating too fast. She shifted her eyes to his lips before looking back to his eyes. He had really nice, full lips. She wondered what they would feel like.

"Gosh, this place is popular all of a sudden. I have had two reservations just this ... sorry, did I interrupt something?"

Vanessa jumped back and hit the kitchen counter when the lady came back into the room. She looked knowingly between Vanessa and Green eyes. Vanessa cleared her throat.

"No, I was just heading heading back to my room to pack, thanks for breakfast," Vanessa said and hurried out the door.

She heard him mumble something after she left the room and ran up the stairs in an attempt to get to the room and lock the door before he could follow.

The thin wooden door wouldn't stop him from getting into her room if he really wanted to get there, but it presented her with an illusion of safety. She quickly closed it and turned the key. Slowly letting out her breath and turned to face her room. Luckily, she had hardly unpacked and she was ready to leave the room within five minutes.

Opening the door she glanced both ways in the hallway before hurrying out the room and down the stairs.

"Thank you so much, I had a lovely stay, but I really must be on my way."