24. Myths

The sensation of coming down from lindorm venom was a lot like waking up from a terrifying yet wonderful dream.

When Vanessa came to, she was lying in her hotel room with Green's arms still wrapped tightly around her. She opened her mouth to tell him to ease up a little, but all that came out was a big burp.

"Glad to see you're awake," he murmured.

"I thought the blood was supposed to make me feel better, not render me unconscious."

"Mr. Sadjie said it was part of the process. Like restarting a computer by unplugging the cord and plugging it back in again."

Vanessa blinked. "Does this Mr. Sadjie realize I'm a person and not a machine?"

Green kissed her on the head. She should have been affronted by the gesture, she wasn't a child, but the casual sign of affection made her feel warm and relaxed in a way that not even the gold dust had managed.

"I believe Mr. Sadjie has a... machinist world view. It must be helpful to think of the universe and all the living things within it as a well-oiled machine when one has to keep on top of hundreds of magical beings every evening."

"It is definitely not the job I would choose," Vanessa agreed.

"Something I think we're all grateful for."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Vanessa asked, but without any real bite to her words. She was too tired and comfortable to get worked up.

"You're both too antagonistic and too trusting to last long in a place like The Watering Hole," Green said.

"Is that why you brought me there?" Vanessa asked, shifting in his arms. His words had brought back the memory of her confrontation with the faun. "Trying to get rid of me already?"

It was a relief to feel like herself again and to think without difficulty. Unfortunately most of her thoughts revolved around her worries and the reality which she had now been forced to return to which was not so great.

"I brought you there because I thought you would like it and I wanted to..." Green cut off.

"To...?" Vanessa said, urging him to go on.

"I wanted to dance with you, hang out with you, drink with you. Basically hang out with you in a place where you weren't so guarded or intent on shutting me out."

"Well," Vanessa said, trying to free herself to sit up. "I certainly wasn't shutting anyone out after a dose or two of that venom. You should have seized the opportunity."

"I can't believe that... snake was allowed inside the club!" Green said, pulling her closer. "That place is supposed to be safe."

"No place is ever safe," she said, her voice muffled against his chest. "Especially not one with magical creatures."

"No, I guess not," Green said. "But they're not supposed to be hunting there."

"Was she hunting?" Vanessa asked thoughtfully. "I think she wanted to play."

"Play? You falling to your death was a game to you?"

"Not to me, but from what she said I got the impression it would make her happy," Vanessa said, feeling her insides grow cold. What was it with her and psychopaths? She seemed to attract them everywhere she went.

"It probably would," Green agreed. "There are not many lindorms left today, the ones you come across are ancient and their sense of humor is a little twisted. Like Mr. Sadjie said, they had their formative years in an era where murder and human sacrifice were perfectly normal things. Death and destruction is their way of life."