- 2 -

An hour before dawn, even police stations experienced a lull. While hospitals were in their most critical hours, the rest of the city, including the criminal element, was finally sinking into sleep.

Well, it was a relative lull, anyway. Asher accompanied Julie, who looked singularly unhappy, and Mackenzie, who looked as if she were enjoying this change of pace, into the station and up to the desk sergeant. As a PI, he wasn't entirely unknown in some of the precincts, though seldom was his arrival truly welcome.

Sgt. Cooper knew him, though, and greeted him pleasantly enough, though not exactly warmly.

"Ms. Matheson," Asher explained, "needs to file a report. She was attacked twice tonight down near Mason and Crick, and I witness the second attack."

Cooper's eyes leapt to Julie as Asher indicated her with a wave of his hand. "Twice? Crap." Then he looked at Asher. "And I suppose you're in your usual rush?"

Asher frowned at him. "All I can do is confirm part of her story. And I do have an urgent case."

"You always have an urgent case." Cooper sighed. "Well, you're in luck. I'll get you to Detective Burke. She always seems to have to time for you."

Not entirely the detective's own choice, thought Asher with grim satisfaction. He'd implanted a suggestion four years ago, and occasionally reinforced it. And he certainly found it useful to have an ally of sorts within the police.

In less than five minutes they were in the Robbery-Homicide squad room, although the case would probably be better handled by the sex crimes unit. Regardless, Burke never refused to see Asher.

She was a tall woman of about forty with a no-nonsense air and short gray-flecked hair. Attractive, but in a subdued way. She chose not to flaunt.

The squad room was even quieter than the rest of the station because those on shift were out on cases that had occurred tonight, and the rest were doing what mortals do at that hour: sleeping at home.

"Ok," Burke said. "What happened?"

Once again Julie seemed reluctant, so Asher plunged into describing what he knew, and giving a description of the four thugs who had surrounded her. And he was starting to get impatient because the prickling on the back of his neck had begun to grow uncomfortable. He glanced at the large wall clock across the room. Forty-five minutes and he had to be home. Period.

Burke took Julie's personal information, then asked her, "What do you do for a living?"

"I'm a forensic pathologist. I just started working at the M.E.'s office last week. And, Detective, I can't be late for my shift."

A forensic pathologist? Hot damn, Asher thought. A contact that kind could be extremely useful.

Burke smiled at Julie. "I'll be as quick as I can, but I think the M.E. would be understanding if you're a little late because you're a material witness."

"Maybe. I'm so new, though."

Mavis Burke's eyes softened. "Honey, I know it's awful. All of it. But you're got to help us get these cruds off the street. You wouldn't want to be responsible for it happening to someone else, would you?"

Julie shook her head and straightened her shoulders. "No, of course not. Except, I don't have any evidence to offer. Other than that I stabbed Sam with a pen. I can't prove he attacked me. Or that those guys wanted to."

"I understand. We may not be able to do anything immediately, but having your statement on file could help us in the future."

Julie nodded. "All right then."