Epilogue

Here it is folks . . .the final installment of Broken Vows.  I edited the ending three times before I was finally satisfied enough to post it, so hopefully you all like it.  I'm not quite sure that I do, even now.
Thanks for sticking with me for the entire story. . .especially during the LONG hiatus of my pregnancy.  It feels good to finally complete it and accomplish something.
Enjoy!                                                   

                                          6 Months Later

Erin emerged onto the massive deck surrounding the pool, pausing a moment to take in the scene, still in awe of the grand scale of the beach house as a whole.  They had chosen it expressly because it was devoted to large parties, especially weddings.  However, seeing it in pictures didn’t even begin to do justice to what it was like to actually stay here. It boasted twenty-three bedrooms, twenty bathrooms, both indoor and outdoor bars, and a baby grand piano. Plus it had banquet space both inside and outside allowing the wedding reception and dance floor to be just another part of the house.

The best part, at least for Erin and Brody, was the oversized Adirondack chair that sat by the front entrance.  They planned to have their picture taken on it together in full wedding attire, much as they had last year at the shopping center. 

There was so much space Erin was surprised she hadn’t gotten lost.  But when she and Brody had decided to celebrate their marriage they had wanted to do it in comfort and style with space for everyone to share it with them.  So, here they were, in the mansion of all beach houses.

Night had fallen and the grandparents had graciously volunteered to take over for Lizzie, Alyssa, and the newest addition to their group, baby Logan.  Alyssa and Lizzie were in heaven here with so much space to run and roam.  Plus, they got to share a room with bunk beds.  In their minds, life couldn’t get much better.  It left Erin and Brody a night to enjoy with their friends before all the festivities and craziness began in the morning.

Erin looked back up at the house, lights blazing through the large windows against the night sky.  The pool lights were turned on as well and someone had plugged in the lanterns they had hung in preparation for tomorrow’s wedding.

The ocean could be heard crashing on the other side of the dune, just a short walk out their own private boardwalk.  A salty breeze blew loose strands of her hair around her face and Erin grinned, glad to be back here again.  She couldn’t believe it had been only a year ago that she’d spent two weeks here, falling in love with Brody and changing her life completely.

With a happy sigh she looked back over at the small group of people gathered by the pool.  Kelly and Bates were both stretched out on deck chairs, listening to Tobey, Brody and Derek talk animatedly about something.  Brad and Jamie sat at the edge of the pool, feet dangling in the water, but they were turned to hear the conversation as well.

Brody’s back was turned to Erin and she grinned devilishly as she remembered the rather abrupt entrance into the pool he’d given her the year before.  It was time for some payback.  She slipped out of her sandals and dropped her towel on top of them, then quietly padded across the deck, hoping Brody wouldn’t hear her as she approached.

Kelly and Bates saw her, as did Brad and Jamie, but she held a finger up to her mouth to shush them.  No one flinched or cracked a smile and Brody never heard her coming.

She stepped up behind him, snaking one arm around his rib cage, laying her palm flat against his chest.  He flinched but then relaxed, realizing it was her.