Round 1

We Build Then We Break-The Fray

A rare sound  plunged through the air in the entryway and made its way into the living room where I was lounging on the couch fiddling around on GarageBand on my iPad. I recognize this sound, I know it. I turn to look at the front door to see who had arrived. It wasn't a very pleasant view that my eyes came across.

"Candice..." I trailed off, not sure how to finish the sentence.

Her silk white dress was torn to pieces, one sleeve missing and the other in shreds, the bottom was a misshapen mess that had been graced with dirt and mud, and the top was ripped in such a way that it revealed more than half of her abdomen.  You could get extremely descriptive to the point where the differences in the pattern that had been a result of the damaged fabric, but all of these observations lead to a single statement. She looked like an absolute wreck.

"I thought that you just went out with Jaydyn and Melanie, what happened to you?" I finally finished my sentence.

"I-I did, but this guy attacked me, I-I can't remember much of what happened," Candice stuttered before breaking out into another crying fit. Whatever it was that happened to her had been bad.

"Come over here, let's try to sort this out," I encouraged while patting the cushion next to me on the couch.

"But I'm filthy, I'll dirty the couch," she said in a faint tone.

"Is that blood?" I questioned the appearance of a new substance I just now realized may or may not be present.  Candice looked down at her dress to look at the section in question.

"I don't really know what that is, I don't remember anything that happened to me," she reminded.

"Then let's go get you cleaned up," I suggested. She nodded her head slightly in agreement and we both headed towards the bedroom with synchronized steps.

Candice changed out of her thoroughly damaged dress into cotton pajamas. She was so shaken up by this evening's events that she required assistance to button her nightshirt, which I was readily available to aid with.

"Now, come and tell me what happened, or as much of it as you can remember," I prompted, almost throwing myself onto the bed and lying on my side like a stick, the way I usually did during one of our cuddling sessions.

"Well, the three of us were... We were at this new bar that opened up last month, I had a couple drinks and began to zone out. Next thing I knew I was being dragged out and he was ripping up my clothes then I blacked out. When I woke up I was covered in mud and whatever this red stuff is and there was a card in my mouth," she explained, stuttering a lot. After what she had recently been through though can you really blame her? She's still in shock from the whole thing.

"What, what kind of card was it?" I questioned, the words not being able to get out of my mouth fast enough. "Was it a playing card or a business card or what?" She handed me a card and her face fell.

It appeared to be a makeshift business card made out of printer paper. On one side there were a bunch of scribble marks, like when a child's made a mistake and they scribble over it.

"He was trying to cover something up," I pointed out the obvious.

I flipped the paper over and saw a number scrawled across it in black pen ink, different in every way from that on the other side. A phone number.

"I'm going to call this guy and give him a piece of my mind," I said now, quite angrily.

"No, Joseph, please don't," she pleaded.

"Do you really want him to get away with this?" I returned, trying not to direct my anger at her that was really meant for the man who stacked my girlfriend and did who knows what else to Candice. Her lower lip began to tremble and she left the room, appearing to be going to the kitchen for something.