Chapter two.

[Chapter two]:

The Elders.

My family. I grew up with them as a baby, so did my siblings. Chloe was their favourites because she didn't cry as much.

The Elders were the angels of good. They fought for the greater good. They were our voice of reason.

My family were very close to them until a few years ago when my father died. They showed their faces at the funeral but not to us after that. And as time passed, we became more like strangers than people we use to know.

Nobody knows why they didn't contact us anymore. It wasn't like it was their fault for our father's death.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

John eventually found out about what happened yesterday and nothing could have prevented the punch Daniel received behind school surveillance. He came into class today with a black eye and I did laugh. He heard me and gave me another one of his well known scowls.

The morning went like the others. One lesson after the other I shuffled into the same routine and found myself sighing after every hour that passed. No one seemed to notice, though. Who would notice as small as that?

It was lunch but I had already eaten, said my farewell to John and the others. I wasn't in the mood to be talkative. Nor was I in the mood for the fan girls that stalked our tables.

I was somewhat popular now that I think about it. Despite having no powers, my looks had the girls somewhat rolling. But I never gave them the time of day and nor will I ever. Soon enough they'll back off. Soon enough.

Chloe gave me a small wave, as did Nina as I walked passed. I hoped to see Amber somewhere, with a friend instead with her lonesome friend. Shortly after looking I managed to spot her long, blonde hair hugged into a massive plat and concealed with a hair-band.

"Amber," I gently greeted, jumping off the ground with a hand supporting my weight until they fell comfortably beside her. She turned and followed my actions, showing me a discreet smile.

"Hey, Zack. What's up?" Gently nudging me, my smile mimicked hers but shortly after widened. "Nothing much, just checking up on you."

Her brow rose, "Or.. You're just bored." I gave her toothless smile and shook my head.

"Or... To give you your lunch. The lunch you forgot. At home. On purpose(?)." I lifted a brow too and held it in front of her pouty face.

"Ha. Did mum tell you?" Amber asked, retrieving her lunch and opening it; revealing a smokey bacon sandwich.

"No, I saw how you left before any of us came down. I made it." I confessed, nudging her gently to try it. And when she did I smiled as her eyes lit up and teeth dug in once again for another bigger bite.

A few minutes passed and I had a pestering urge to ask where her friends were. But I didn't want to embarrass her by answering with nothing. Amber considered herself a loner. She didn't want to be involved in cliques so she didn't.

"I'm finished." I turned to her small heart shaped face and gave her a brotherly smile. She looked so cute, my baby sister.

"Good. Hey! Don't even think about it." I saw how her hands were just about to blame the wind for littering. Her eyes widened as did her suppressing smile.

"Hand it over, I'll throw it if you won't." Once she handed it over to me I got off the bench we sat on and turned to face her, giving her a brotherly hug and a kiss on the forehead. Casting a look over to Darren who watched us from afar and gave me a appreciative nod. He knew of Amber's prolonging situation. I shut my eyes close and wished Amber a good lesson after lunch, and joked about how she reads too much before leaving.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

"He was a good man."

"A generous man."

"A powerful man."

"A loving father."

"A genuine friend."

"And a faithful lover."

These what were scripted on my fathers tomb plate.

Every word was as true and proud.

My father was a man adored by many and devoted to one. My mum. Their love was so true. So devoted. So.. Unmeasurable.

He died six years ago when I was 12. Nobody knows how he was murdered. It was during the war. He was hit and no one could heal him. He couldn't heal himself. He stood by the rules until his final breath.

We all grieved, especially mum. She changed. She didn't take her grief out on us but our father's fellow Elders for not being there to save him. For somehow being the reason for his death. She just needed something or someone to take her anger out on. And after a couple months she calmed.

She stopped crying and frowning 24/7.

She never cried after that day.

It was Amber's birthday that day. Mum needed to smile and so she did. Amber and her must of swapped emotions because Amber hadn't spoken much after her birthday.

I miss the old Amber. The Amber that wouldn't stop talking. The Amber that loved to sing and go out. The Amber that was really alive before our misfortune.

---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----

"Zack!" John's voice was loud and demanded attention.

"Hey, man. Why are you shouting?" I spoke with annoyance and dismissed him, laughing.

"If you'd listen me in the first place then I wouldn't need to shout!" He balled his fist and shook it. A small smile took his lips as he slapped both palms on my shoulder and shook me, yelling "There's a party at the Haynes!" Everyone around us bellowed with cheers.

Everyone knew how awesome the Haynes parties were. I never went though. I didn't want to embarrass myself or Darren by going.

Darren's never warned me about going. He was fine with it. He encouraged me to go actually.

I still had my doubts though.

Maybe..

"You're coming right?"

I could go..

"Right?"

..

"ZACK!" Everyone yelled, pushing my forward.

"Okay! Okay!" I laughed, offering my palms up as a surrender gesture.

This could be interesting.

The rest of the day was nothing remotely interesting. I learned a lot more and went home with the urge to just sleep, what was better than sleeping? Nothing, exactly.

Everyone else, especially the girls were getting ready for the party. Chloe was apparently going, some guy had asked her, how do I know this? Because Chloe's loud friends couldn't stop giggling and spilling it as they walked passed my room, casually saying their hellos and building their hopes up excepting a reply. Luckily for them I was in a good mood; so I offered them a dashing smile which they took to heart, and went on their way.

I sometimes wondered why Chloe would hang out with them. Sometimes it's as if they follow her around or something. Considering they're the "Top Bitches".

Yeah, we even had cliques in Magic School. It's inevitable.

A few more hours of sleep would do me good, I suggested before drifting off into a deep, deep sleep, and unexpected dream.