Sunglasses, Swimming, and Pizza

"Where the hell are my sunglasses?" I quietly asked myself. I had already tore apart my room, my beach bag and my purse. I know that I could probably buy a new pair, but these were my favorite sunglasses. They're tie-dye sunglasses from Target, but I've had them forever and I can't stand the thought of losing them.

"Huh?" Alex asked, sticking his head out of the door to his room, "Did you say something?"

"I can't find my sunglasses." I look at him. "Will you stop staring at my ass and help me find them?"

Alex immediately jerks his head up. "Sorry," he says, "Casey might have them," Alex offers as he walks out of his room. He's wearing black O'Neill board shorts and his arms are folded over his tanned chest. He looks so adorable!

"Well this should go over well," I say sarcastically. I know from experience that Casey does NOT like things taken away from her. In the fifth grade, when Casey was three, she stole my "Nintendogs" game and I didn't get it back until seventh grade.

She said, "This is for babies and I'm not a baby anymore."

I had completely forgotten about the game, so when Casey handed it to me, I told her to just keep it. If Alex gets her to give me my sunglasses back today, I'll be surprised.

"I'll ask her to give them back to you," Alex says.

"And what makes you think that she'll give them to you?" I ask expectantly.

"I have no idea." He says. I laugh and he walks to the door. "After you m'lady," he says in a British accent.

"Why thank you," I say in my fake British accent. I walk through the open door onto a bright, sunlit boardwalk. I hear the door close and soon, Alex's bare feet close behind me. I feel like I'm on top of the world. Like nothing can stop me, and it's only noon.

--------

As soon as we get down to the beach, Mrs. James hands Alex and me a pizza box.

"Eat up!" She says, "You guys have a big day ahead of you."

"What do you want from us mom?" Alex asks.

"I need you both to babysit for me tonight.," she explains, "Your father and I have dinner reservations at six-thirty and we're going to be gone for a few hours. I'll pay you both ten dollars an hour."

"Fine," Alex rolls his eyes.

"Thank you! It's a hell of a lot harder to find good babysitters up here then it is back home."

"That's 'cause you don't know anybody up here," Alex looks at me and says, "Let's go eat."

We sit down on a floral print beach towel and start to eat the medium pepperoni pizza.

--------

After we finish our pizza, Alex hugs me from behind with his arms wrapped around my stomach. I really love it when he does that. I wrap my arms around his neck and look at him. We're both smiling. Alex is looking up into the sky. I feel like I should say something, but then I wonder if it'll ruin the moment.

"I love days like this," He says in a thoughtful way.

"Me too," I say. I look towards the ocean. There are two dolphins that immediately catch my eye. They're surfacing at the same time. Breathing together, as if they couldn't live without each other.

Alex lets go of me after about ten minutes and walks towards the water. I pull my hair into a loose bun on the top of my head, and run in with him. I dive in and wade towards Alex. He pulls me towards him and sits me on his knee. I look into the horizon for a moment, then I look at Alex. He's studying me. I don't know whether to be flattered or offended.

"Is something wrong?" I ask him. Alex smiles and looks away.

"You're," he pauses for a second and looks back at me, "You're different, then you were."

"Now why," I adjust myself so that I'm hugging him from behind, "do you say that?"

"I think that you might have stronger feelings for me than before." Alex says. He pulls me back in front of him. He's never done that before. I always thought that he respects me too much to move me himself.

"Well of course I do," I say. I look into his dark brown eyes. I can tell he's not going to let this go. "We're best friends right?"

"Right," he says. He looks into the water and I see his reflection frown. I hate it when Alex frowns. When he found out that I hate it when he frowns, he started to turn away whenever he became upset.

"Do you have stronger feelings for me?" I ask.

"I might, and I might not." Alex looks directly into my eyes. Those brown eyes always make me melt. Instead of looking protective, they look concerned and serious. "The truth is, I was going to ask you out." I can't believe I'm hearing this! If he's always felt this way, he's never shown it. All of the sudden, everything feels like a dream. I feel like I'm floating.

I look at him intently. "Is that a question, or a statement?" I ask. Alex looks confused for a moment. He opens his mouth to speak but I cut him off. "Because if it's a question, then the answer's yes."

--------

Hey guys! This is getting pretty exciting! I honestly have no idea where this book is headed, but I know that there are going to be some more surprising twists. I will post chapter four as soon as I can. Don't forget to vote and fan!