Halloween Pt 1

*Tate's P.O.V*

"Tate I want you there, with me, today." Violet's voice is light yet intense. She reaches out to touch my arm but I jerk away- not mad at her, but at myself. "Please." She stares into my eyes and I can't help but fall into the mystery they hold. She reaches out again and his time I don't shift away. Her touch is gentle and heavenly. I almost reach out and pull her face close to mine but stop myself, scared of how my touch might hurt her.

"Shouldn't you be with your family today?" I finally reply, still mesmerized by the beauty in her eyes.

"I'm forced to be with them every god-damn day in this house. I'd like to spend Halloween with you, Tate." Her voice is too damn angelic. "Will you take me back to where we first spent Halloween together?"

I know exactly where she's taking about. The beach, near the lifeguards post.

I hesitate, afraid. "I don't want to hurt you." My voice is barely a whisper.

Violet squeezes my arm gentle, reassuringly. "You can't. You won't, I know it." She pauses, a small smile tugging the corners of her mouth upwards slightly.

A few minutes pass by, and we stand staring into each others eyes.

"Let's go to the beach then." I say finally, my voice weak but my heart pounding.

***

An hour later Violet's fingers are intertwined with mine and we are seated in the damp sand near the water.

She tilts her head to the side until it rests gently on my shoulder. A buzz of electricity courses through me.

I managed to dull down the voices in my head, so they are merely background noise- still there but distant.

I let out a heavy sigh and Violet lifts her head to look at me.

"What are you thinking about?" She asks softly, gazing at me despite my eyes being glued on the horizon.

"Nothing important." I say after a beat, tearing my eyes away from the distant waves to look at her.

With her free hand she reaches up and- so gently I barely feel it- brushes her fingers across my left cheek and down to my lips, where they pause, making my heart pound harder than should be possible.

"Do you want to know what I was thinking about?" Her voice is a whisper, only just reaching my ears.

"Yes." I breathe back, struggling to hold myself back, wanting to kiss her until the sun is down and our lips are swollen.

"I was thinking," She pauses and takes a shaky breath- she must be as terrified and exhilarated as I am- then continues. "About how long it's been since I've kissed you. So long I can barely remember the shape of your lips on mine."

She flicks her bright gaze from my lips to my eyes, a kind of hunger bouncing about within them.

I can't help myself. "Then let me refresh your memory."

*Violet's P.O.V*

Our lips crash together the second the words leave his mouth. His beautiful, soft mouth.

My breathing is ragged and unsteady, unlike the beating of my heart which is pounding a smooth, sure rhythm, as if it knows this is exactly where I'm meant to be.

He pulls away before I'm ready and my lips accidentally hit his chin.

"It's too public here." He whispers, lips sliding across my jawline.

I smile slightly. Ohh, so what are we going to be doing in private?

I pull him up as I stand and begin to lead him over to the old lifeguards shed.

He intertwined his fingers with mine as we walk.

We are about halfway to the shed when a figure appears, walking towards us.

Tate grips my hand a little harder, protectively.

The figure walks out from the shadows.

It's Flynn. The new family's son. The boy I watched sleep last night. I cringe a little at the thought.

Tate lets my hand go when he sees him, then starts prowling towards him. "What're you doing here?"

He smiles at Tate a little confused. "Just want to talk to Violet." He looks over Tate's broad shoulder at me, his eyes gleaming.

"Sorry, she's talking with me right now." Tate's fires back.

I can feel the tension in the air.

Flynn must feel Tate's aggression too because he lifts his eyebrow and smirks, tauntingly. "You don't want to talk to me like that." His voice is light.

Tate pauses, his face deathly neutral. "I really, really do."