Chapter 3

Merlins POV

I paced back in forth in the small cell. "Please, Arthur, don't come for me, please" I muttered under my breath. I heard a low chuckle and looked up quickly. "You don't really believe he isn't coming for you, do you?" Luke sneered. "He won't come!" I said defiantely. "I know it." Luke just chuckled. "I don't have time to argue with you, warlock. I only came because I promised you pain beyond belief, remember?" He said the last part sweetly, like he was giving a massive cake. He muttered a spell under his breath, and the same agony shot through my body. I bit my lip, but I couldn't hold in my cries. Luke laughed evilly as he continued to torture me. Soon, I began to lose consciousness.  

"I can't wait until your beloved prince comes. I'm going to enjoy this so much!'' Luke said gleefully, a psychotic smile on his face. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing, yearning for the pain to go, but it only became worse. I blacked out.

Bella's POV

I felt terrible. Merlin and I had gotten incredibly close in the past few weeks. But that was the plan, and I had no choice but to follow Luke's orders. I clenched my fist as another wave of guilt washed over me. I could hear Merlin's cries of anguish in my chambers. I had to help him, somehow. I couldn't just let him die. Not after what he did for me.

Flashback

"Halt! In the name of King Uther, halt!"

I ran, breathless, as the castle guards lumbered after me. I had to get away. I had to help my father. He would die without these herbs, and I had no choice but to steal them. Suddenly, someone clasped their hand around my mouth, and pulled me into a dark corner. I kicked and tried to scream, thinking it was a castle guard, but he was too strong.

''Shhhhh." he whispered. I held still as the guards raced past us. He turned me around. "Promise you won't scream?" he asked. I nodded, wide-eyed. He slowly removed his hand from my mouth, and released my wrists.

"You saved my life." I said. "Thank you!"

He smiled, his blue-green eyes twinkling. "it wasn't a problem. My name is Merlin.''

"Bella" I said, still breathless from the run, and the beauty of his smile. I blushed furiously. "I-uh-I should go." I stuttered.

He smiled kindly. "Of course. Perhaps I'll see you again."

"Maybe." I replied. I then peeked out cautiously, and looked back once at the stunning young man who saved my life.

Another cry brought me back to my present situation. A small smile appeared on my lips as I remembered how smitten I was. I dreamed of Merlin long after I had ran away from him, hoping I would see him again.

Merlin's POV

I bolted up suddenly, confused. Where was I? Why was it so dark? Suddenly, everything came rushing back. I was kidnapped by some man named Luke. He has been torturing me for what felt like days, but I knew it had only been a few hours. Every part of my body tingled with pain as I remember the agony he put me through. Suddenly, I heard footsteps. I tensed as Luke came into view again. He chuckled. "It is amusing, how pathetic you look. Are you ready to have some more of my special treatment?"

I stayed silent, though I wanted to curse him so badly, my mother would to come and wash my mouth. Thoroughly. With soap.

He muttered the same words he had been saying all day, and I collapsed on the cold floor, trying not to scream, but not being able to hold it in. I arched my back and tried to breath, but the pain took over my whole body, its unrelenting grip squeezing me mercilessly. Luke began to cackle loudly as the pain tightened its grip on my weak body, and I screamed, the cries echoing through the empty dungeon. Blackness took over my eyes as I gasped for breath, and begged for mercy.

Arthur's POV

We rode all day. I didn't allow the knights to stop. I was desperate to stop Merlin's death. I just couldn't let it happen. I know I wasn't exactly the kindest towards him, but I really did have a liking for him, and he was one of the bravest men I have ever met. We finally arrived to the castle, but it was almost sundown. I drew my sword, and my men followed suit. I took a deep breath, and stepped inside.

I heard screams of agony echoing down the corridor, and I tensed. "Merlin!" I gasped, and rushed to the source of the sound.

"Sire, wait! We can't just rush in there. God knows what's down there!" Leon said, grabbing my arm and stopping my mad scramble to the sounds of Merlin's anguish. "We have to go quietly, and need a plan!"

"A plan?! Here's the plan! Get Merlin, and kill anyone who tries to stop us!" Gwaine interjected. 

"Gwaine, I know you want to get Merlin out of there, I do too, but we have to be strategic about this!" I I was surprised when Gwaine didn't make a snarky remark about my concern towards Merlin, he simply nodded and listened attentively.

"Alright men. This is what we're going to do. We have to sneak quietly into the dungeons, and make sure that we aren't seen. We cannot be seen! Understood?"

The men nodded as they brandished their sword and followed me down the candle-lit corridor.