Chapter Twelve

Pain.

Shooting, burning, intense pain I can not control or stop. Its in my head, moving swiftly through my mind, tearing and clawing at every piece of me. One minuet I was fine, talking with my granddaughters and laughing happily and the next pain shoots through me.

Then it was over.

I slowly stood up as I came to my senses.

"Elizabeth! Are you alright?" Carlisle rushed over to me and helped me up upright.

My Carlisle.

He looked exactly the same, maybe a little hurt and confusion in his eyes, but the same as the day I met him. I realized I had been staring and looked down quickly.

I, Elizabeth Masen, am a vampire. I've been kept prisoner by the Volturi for over a hundred years and have become a terrifying beast. Carlisle was a vampire after all, I guess I was right, and he kept his promise to me all these years. He not only helped Edward but guided him and cared for him like a son.

"Elizabeth,are you okay?" Carlisle asked brushing my hair out of my face.

"I'm fine." I answered quickly running my hands over my face.

"You are not fine you liar." he shot at me and I turned to glare at him. He gave me a "you should know" look and I instantly remembered and forced a quick laugh.

It's what he used to tell me when I was sick. I would tell him I was fine and he would always come back with "You are not fine you liar." He always used to make me laugh.

"Mother, are you sure you're alright? Do you need to sit?" Edward grabbed my arm lightly.

"I'm fine darling!" I laughed and hugged him.

He picked me up and swung me around just like he used to before the influenza. We both laughed as he set me down.

"My darling sweet boy!" I cupped his face "I thought you were dead." I cried latching onto him again.

"I thought the same of you." he chuckled darkly.

"I am never letting you out of my sight again. A girl takes a short nap, wakes up, and she's a vampire with a dead son." I laughed.

"Short nap?" Carlisle questioned and I turned to look at him "Elizabeth you died. I sat with you, spoke with you, do you not remember anything we talked about?" Carlisle seemingly hurt.

All of the sudden those worst memories came back.

Flashback

Carlisle was able to tell I wasn't going to see the next morning, but I wasn't going to let him know I knew that. He sat beside me on my cot. From my cot I could tend to Edward as he laid in his and I was putting a cold rag on his forehead when Carlisle's arm wrapped around me.

"Good evening Elizabeth." he greeted me with a spark of wonder in his eyes.

"Carlisle, Edward." I ushered him to check my sons health before anything else. He assessed him quickly and informed me of his unchanging state

"Carlisle there must be some way you can help him!" Tears threatened to overwhelm me.

I knew his secret. I had known his secret the first moment I met him a year ago. Carlisle Cullen was a vampire I was sure of it. Upon his arrival into town Edward had fallen and received a nasty concision and of course I took him to the supposed 'miracle' doctor.