:Baseball Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend: Chapter Three

Dad had ordered chinese food for dinner, which wasn't surprising at all since Teressa was on her off day and both dad and I knew that mom couldn't cook. Me on the other hand, could not cook to save my life. I got it from my mom, go figure.

             Dinner wasn't as bad as I imagined it to be. I mean Dad has always been guarded whenever one of my guy friends was around for dinner, but since he knew Zane, he was perfectly fine. Dad was a little bit chatty though, Zane seemingly used to it, was enjoying their little chat about baseball.

             I would have been participating in their chat but it seemed like a father-son bonding time that I didn't want to intrude.

             Mom was looking at dad, smiling. I guess I wasn't the only who notice how much Dad loves having another guy around the house.

             "Shannon, would you m-" Dad stopped mid-sentence when he noticed my look. He sighed. "I meant Shay. Shay, would you mind driving Zane to the field for practice tomorrow? I'll have to be there way too early for some business stuff so is it okay if you could do me a favor?"

             "Sure," I said looking at Dad and Zane.

             "Thanks," I heard Zane muttered beside me.

             I offered him a kind smile. "Don't worry about it."

             I continued eating my dumplings in silent.

             Mom and Dad peppered him with questions. I was surprised on how Zane was keeping up with it all.

             "Were you born in California?"

             "No ma'am. Born and raise in Texas, recently moved up to California."

             "Where in Texas?"

             "Dallas."

             "Great City. Are you a big fan of Texas Rangers?"

             "Yes, sir."

             "That's Shannon's second favorite team," Dad said putting all attention on me. "Ain't that right Shan?"

             I blushed due to the intensity of Zane's eyes. "Mhmm," I muttered.

             Zane smiled. "Who's your favorite team? Tampa Bay Rays?"

             Of course he would think that. I knew why he thought I liked the Rays though, since we are in Florida. You know, support your home team and all.

             "Nah," I said and continued eating my food.

             "So do you have a girlfriend, son?" that surprisingly came from my dad. Who knew that he was interested.

             Mom quickly looked my way, but looked away embarrassed when I caught her gaze.

             I found myself listening way too intently to his answer. You know, for certain purposes. For example, if my friends happens to be interested and all. I mentally snorted, like I would set him up with any of my friends.

             Zane looked at me for a fraction of second before returning his gaze to my dad. "No. I didn't really have time last year with University and all. First years are always a hassle."

             "You won't have school to worry about this summer," Mom said smiling. "There are plenty of nice girls around here."

             Zane blushed. "I bet."