Chapter Four

I pause statuesque in the threshold of the kitchen, my heart beat starts to get heavier as I watch thin woman scoot the boy into the house and shut the door behind her. Only seconds remained until she saw me standing there naked, but I couldn’t budge from the spot.

                “Robbie, I leave for five min….” she looks up and sees me staring at her, she scream and grabs the child up in her arms and darts to the bedroom. I move for the door and as I fumble with the lock, I hear a cock of a gun and tensing on a trigger. I turn in time to feel the cold bullet tear through my shoulder and blow a bushel of bone and meat out my back. I had never been shot while in human state, it not’s the pain that got to me, no it was the fear that made me turn.

                It starts from the heart and shoots throughout my whole body. The pain in my shoulder all but disappears as my bones crackle then fuse, and flesh and ligaments mend. The woman nervously fires three more shots but they hit me like drops of piss in a bedpan.

                She gawks dewy-eyed and silent at what she has made me become, an inhuman monster, so big that my neck is arched against the ceiling, I take a few steps toward her and the child, tearing deep clefts in her once very peaceful home. Something in her snaps she screeches something unintelligible and with her eyes clenched  she hysterically fires off the remaining five rounds. Two of which explode the pictures on the wall behind me, while the rest settle somewhere in my coat of steal-dense fur.

                “What are you?” she screams, barricading the boy behind her bony body, “Please don’t hurt us.”

I crane over her and let out a throat ripping, grumbling growl from the rotten pit inside me. I stand over her growling and sniffing her, and then revert.

                She is more offended by the naked me, shielding her eyes with her bony hand.

I snatch the sheet off the floor and as I open the door, I notice that I painted the wall with a twisted mural of my blood.

                I yell for bleach, she points me to a closet in the kitchen, I open it and reach for the bottle of bleach and go back to my blood and soak the blood on the wall and floor with bleach and set the bleach down. I meticulously look at the wall look at the wall once more and choose to soak the whole wall with bleach. I have to take special care to protect others from the curse.

I take up the sheet one last time and as I walk out the door, I say:

                                “No one will believe you.”

                I walk with a purpose to the edge of the woods put the corners of the sheets in my mouth and turn.  Cutting through the forest, following his scent, when I find him he is sitting on the ground, balled up, rocking back and forth.

                I reach in the sheet and throw him some clothing, he couldn’t put it on quick enough, his arms and wrists stuck out of his clothing but he was happy to get warmer. The clothes I took were a bit big but I also was ready to warm up

                “its time for you to answer some of my questions,” he tells me.

                I nod, “Ok.”