Chapter Three

“I didn’t understand what it meant,” Gus says, “become wolf.” He has a distant empty look in his eyes, the kind of look you get when you know you have done something terrible but it’s too late to take it back.  

                “I didn’t know what I would do without her, I had to say yes.”

                I couldn’t say anything; I didn’t know what it was like to hold all that guilt on my shoulders.

I pat him on the back..

                “Does it hurt that bad every time?” He asks.

                I nod my head, “every time,” I say, “But the pain is the least of your worries.”

                He breaks that distant stare and look at me and his eyes start to swell. “I don’t want to be this, I killed last night, I woke up with blood everywhere, everywhere, and I had pieces of bone in my mouth…”

                “We need to get clothing,” I interrupt, “you stay here, I’ll go get clothes and then I’ll answer everything.”

                He nods, “ok.”

                I take a deep breath in preparation let out a sharp grunt and begin to turn. In seconds it’s over, I stand straight up and look down at Gus, his eyes take in what he has become. Half man, half cursed beast.  I take one last whiff of him and rip through the forest toward the town.

                I stop at the tree line and see a little highway town I move along the edge to try find a house that I can sneak into to steal some clothes  about a half mile of where the trees break up to the mountains there is a small house with plumes of smoke coming out of the chimney.

                Before I get to the house, I revert back to weak, scrawny twenty two year old and rub dirt on my face and chest and try to develop a limp and a back story.  I got to the front door, knocked and covered my nakedness with my hands. A boy answered the door.

                “Hey, are your parents home?” I ask him as sweetly possible.

                He shakes his head slowly with his eyes locked on my hands.

                “An older brother, or sister?”

                He shakes his head again.

                “Good that will make this a lot easier.”

                I push the kid aside and case the house, kitchen, TV, hallway, I walk to the hallway and find three bedrooms, the first one was pink with Justin Bieber posters on the wall, I passed it for the next one. I rummaged through the dresser to find a pair of pants, some socks and underwear. I took the sheet and spread it on the floor and piled the clothes on it then went through the closet and threw a couple of shirts, a hoody and a pair of shoes on the pile and then I went to the next room and did the same. When I was done, I took the corners of the sheet and slung the things over my shoulder. When I made my way to the kitchen, the boy was still standing wide-eyed at the front door scratching his head.

I swept a shelf of whatever happened to be in the fridge in the sheets then went through the drawers for a knife. When I had everything, I put the corners of the sheets in my mouth but before I had a chance to make my escape I hear

                “Robert Grant Woosley, what are you doing at the door?”