Chapter 1

Today was a new day which meant another new school day. A group of friends that passed for a family were making their way down a dark and rather creepy alley way; they did this every school day as it was on the their rout. The group contained four teenagers: Kanan who is nineteen - he had to go restart a year of school due to a family tragedy, Hera who is seventeen, Zeb who is eighteen and Sabine who is sixteen years old. Kanan and Hera were also a couple, had been for over three years now. All four of them lived together after agreeing it was best; they were all having problems at home. "So Zeb, do you have rugby practice after school??" Kanan asked as he walked hand in hand with his girlfriend "no, coach changed it to next Tuesday, don't know why though". All of a sudden, the friends were forced to a halt as a back pack suddenly hit the ground ten feet ahead of them; their eyes were drawn to an open window. A hooded figure could be seen climbing out of the window, making their way down a drain pipe before jumping next to the bag which they assumed was theirs. Sabine returned her gaze upon the window and nudged her friends to catch their attention; there was now a man sticking his head out of the open window. "Go on then!! Run off to school!!" he yelled with complete and utter anger "you're only safe for six hours!! Then you'll get what's coming to you!! You street rat!!" and with that, he slammed the window shut. The hooded figure grabbed the bag and threw it over their shoulder with a sigh "that was way too close" they heard; the hooded figure was a male, a young one at that. Hera spoke up as she saw the person begin to walk away "hey kid!! You okay??" she called out, clearly startling him as he turned around rather quickly "um...yeah" he nodded "did you guys just see all of that??" he asked earning four nods "oh...well em...just forget it all" and with that, he ran away. The group of friends stared in shock then returned to walking to school; they spoke about the strange and alarming encounter...it was worried to be honest. They hoped the kid was okay. 

They eventually arrived at school and sat in their their normal seats - which of course were next to once another. The type of school they attended was a little different to a normal high school; it allowed students between the ages of fourteen to twenty, a group of students would be assigned to one teacher to teach them everything - it was one hell of a teacher, and they were allowed to wear whatever they wanted as long as it didn't show anything it shouldn't. So the class they were in was their normal everyday class room. All of the students were chattering away to one another until their teacher entered the class room with a bright smile "good morning class" she greeted; Miss Hart was her name. She took the register before giving the class the morning news; it was main;y based on an upcoming school party. Half way through discussing who was going, the door opened and in walked the head teacher. "Hello class, Miss Hart" he greeted "I would like to introduce a new student, I expect you to make him feel as welcome as you were on your first day" he instructed before looking back at the door "come on now, no need to be shy". The whole class watched as someone entered the room, a boy in a dirty and hole ridden orange hoodie; the small group of friend's eyes widened in shock. It was the kid from the alley way!! The head teacher left the room as Miss Hart took over "welcome to Rebel High, why don't you introduce yourself??" she suggested with a smile; the teen boy agreed "okay, my name's Ezra, Ezra Bridger...and I'm fifteen years old". The teacher instructed the newbie to take a seat next to Hera to which he did quickly before being given his new school books and planner; Ezra kept quiet and just got on with his work as the classes begun. It appeared he was rather smart. Eventually, break time came about and the newbie made a B-line for an abandoned bench to be alone; the group of friends did the same twenty feet away from the boy, talking about a multiple of things...but their main thoughts were on Ezra and what had happened earlier that morning. 

The bell rung and the next two lessons begun; art and music. Turns out Ezra was an expert when it came to art, much like Sabine; the two were the main students that answered Miss Hart's questions for that subject. Other then answering the questions though, the boy wouldn't speak. When the music lesson begun, everyone prepared themselves to perform their month long projects; Miss Hart suddenly remembered something and turned towards the new pupil. "Ezra, the project was to write a song with an instrument" she explained "but since you weren't here when we started this project, you can sit this one out" before she could walk away, Ezra spoke up "well actually...I do have a song I wrote myself....I could perform that if you want??" he offered earning a nod "yeah, it sounds like a plan". In the end, the newbie went last. Hera played a piece on the piano, Sabine was on the keyboard, Zeb on the drums and Kanan used the guitar. They were all excellent, probably some of the best in the small class, and each relieved A+. Now it was Ezra's turn; they all watched as he grabbed one of the many guitar, sat in front of the class on tall stool and began to play, soon followed by singing.

The whole class was completely amazed!! They burst into cheers, claps and whistles, earning small smile as Ezra returned the guitar to it's rightful place. "Well...I do believe that performance deserves an A+" Miss Hart stated proudly "well done Ezra, you have quite the talent" she complimented "em...thank you". The bell once again rung, alerting the whole school that it was lunch time; Kanan, his girlfriend and two best friends grabbed their food and sat down at a table when they noticed Ezra sit at yet another abandoned table, no tray of food and not even reaching into his bag. "Isn't that kid hungry??" Zeb wondered out loud to his friends who all shrugged. All of a sudden, they watched as Jack - the captain of the football team - and his mates - the rest of the the football team - approach the newbie; they began to pick on him. As Ezra stood up and attempted to walk away, Jack was quick to give him a shove, pushing the boy to the floor; this caught everyone's attention. Rolling his eyes, Ezra return to his feet and resumed walking, only to be grabbed by the his navy blue shoulder length hair by Connor who yanked him back harshly. "Where do you think you're going street rat??" Jack then took over as usual and pushed the fifteen year old against a wall before beginning to punch him. Kanan and Zeb stood up after sharing a look that both said the same thing; the older teen spoke up, calling out to the bullies "leave him alone Jack!!" they turned to the owner of the voice, halting the punches "go punch a ball or something!!". Jack, with much hesitance, let the newbie go with a huff before leaving the canteen with his followers in toe; they all remembered the last fight they had with Kanan which Zeb jumped in to help with...it didn't end well for the footballers. Sabine and Hera were quick to rush past their male friends and help the injured teen up and back to their table; the older girl pulled out some tissues to attempt to clean Ezra's face. He only had a gash on his cheek from the punches but will most likely have a few nasty bruises within the hour.

 "Thanks for the safe back there" Ezra spoke once the girl was finished cleaning his face "it's no problem" Kanan smiled, followed by Zeb "we  look out for each other". Sabine was hesitant to ask the question that popped into her head but curiosity took over "what...what was this morning about?? With that guy from the window??" they all wanted to know but also didn't want to scare the newbie away. Ezra sighed as he sat back in his seat "I was hoping you guys have forgotten...it's nothing for you guys to worry about" he reassured; Kanan stepped in this time "...you said 'that was too close'...what did you mean??" he asked. They all watched as Ezra rubbed the back of his neck "it's nothing, really...just forget about it". Before anything else could be said, the bell ring for last lesson; they hurried to their class before beginning to learn some science. Finally, school was over!! The group offered to walk with Ezra until they reached the alley way; the boy attempted to jump and climb up but...it was rather difficult. Kanan chuckled before nudging Zeb who nodded; the two crouching down and cupped their hands together "come on, we'll give you a boost". And so they did. Once Ezra was in the window, he lent against the ledge ."thanks for the help, see you guys tomorrow" 

Ezra: "Thanks for the help, see you guys tomorrow I guess".
Kanan: "No problem kid...if you want, you can walk with us tomorrow".
Ezra: "Really?!...Thanks, same time as this morning??".
Hera: "Of course Ezra, and yes, same time".
Ezra: "Okay, see you all tomorrow".
Kanan, Hera, Sabine and Zeb: "Bye Ezra".

All of a sudden, a loud and harsh demand could be heard coming out of the window that Ezra was stood at "get your ass down here right now boy!! You're in so much trouble for this mornings stunt!!" it was Tom, Ezra's legal guardian. The fifteen year old hurried to close the window after waving to his...new found friends?? that's a first. And then he turned around and was gone, making his way deeper into the house. Something didn't feel right to the group of friends. "I hope Ezra's okay" Hera stated as her boyfriend embraced her "yeah...I think we all hope that" Sabine sighed; Kanan and Zeb both agreed. They resumed walking home "either way, we'll see him tomorrow and you can ask" Kanan reminded "I guess you're right...he's one of us now so we'll be there for him" they all smiled at that.