Chp. 3

I gasped awake, my head was throbbing with pain and I took in the scene around me. Water, that’s all I knew, I was stuck to my seat, and I looked at Claire who was still next to me. She was blacked out, blood seeping from a gash on her forehead, and her ears were bleeding as well. 

I frantically unbuckled my seatbelt, feeling the semi warm water surround me as I fell deep into water. I had no time to think about what had happened, I just knew I had to get to safety. 

I swam, and I squinted, trying to see where we were but it was dark, and the water was black, fire was the only light we had, and it was coming from the plane engines. I knew we had to get away from this as soon as possible, the engine could blow up at any time. 

I swam to Claire and my hands found her waist that was now sinking underwater with the part of the plane her seat was still attached to. I unhooked the belt, pulling her forward and dragging her slowly out of the broken plane. 

I quickly checked her throat for a pulse, and it was there, but it was awfully slow.

A floating object near me was perfect to let her drift on, I just had to grab it. I slowly swam over to it, hoisting her and myself onto it to keep us afloat and I looked back at the plane.

Half of it had already sunk, but my half was still afloat, barely. 

Mallory’s side of the plane was gone. 

I felt fear and pain well up in my chest, knowing she had to be down there. I felt the tears form in my eyes, but I knew she was gone, and all my classmates…

I heard screaming coming from part of the plane, and I looked at Claire’s unconscious body. I found a loose strap and tied it around her, hooking it to the suitcase to keep her on the luggage and afloat. 

I had to try and help them. 

I swam as fast as I could but I body was aching, and my head was killing me. I screamed, “Hey!” hoping they would respond quickly. 

Then I followed a muffled scream, and I knew they were sinking, so I had to find them quick. I saw bubbles rise from  the dark water and dove down, knowing I couldn’t open my eyes I would have to go down there blind. 

So I did. 

I felt around for a belt, and finally I found it, hands grabbing on me to help them to the surface. I pulled them up, only to realize they were really bad off. I wanted to gag from fear, the pain  they had written on their face… 

I pulled them up, hoisting them onto a loose seat cusion, and when I noticed they weren’t heavy at all, I knew something was wrong. 

His bottom half was missing, and he wasn’t going to make it much longer. 

I whispered, “I’m so sorry.”

I swam quickly to where me and Claire were sitting, knowing there were life jackets under our seats because we were flying over seas. I pulled one out and quickly put it on, suddenly realizing my arm hurt a hell of a lot more then I realized.