3:01 The Magnificent Seven

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

I sat in the back seat of the Impala, totally fed up and bored. In front of me, Sam had his nose just about touching a book titled ‘Dr. Faustus’. It was an apparently random choice, but I knew Sam’s real reason for doing it. I looked up to the curtains of the house we were parked inside to see Dean’s head peeking through. He grinned, and gave me a double thumbs up. I shook my head at him, however, smiling. My head snapped around as Sam’s phone rang. I considered answering it, as the owner of the cell was currently lost to the world in some book.

“Hello,” Sam beat me to it. I sat back. “Hey Bobby.” I jerked back up again, listening keenly now. “Oh, same old, same old.” Sam paused. I wished I knew what Bobby was saying. “Then where, Bobby?” Sam didn’t miss a beat as he answered Bobby’s question smoothly. “Polling the electorate. Never mind.” Sam hung up, after that, and turned in his seat to stare at me.

“You back in the saddle, Mil?” he asked me, “or is there somewhere I can drop you off.”

I shook my head firmly. It’s true, I didn’t want to hunt, but this time, I had to stick with my brothers, or we’d end up with someone else dead. “I’m in. At least until we get Dean out of his deal. But for now, I’m coming with.”

Sam smiled fondly. “That’s my girl. Okay. First assignment, grasp Dean from the fiery pits...”

I interrupted what I knew he was gonna say. “Not funny.” I jumped out of the car, hiding my reluctance, and strode into the apparently empty house. “Dean?” I called, opening what I assumed to be the bedroom door. I didn’t dare poke my head in, just in case. “Dean, you... you conscious? Bobby called, and he thinks that maybe we...” When there was no answer, I dared to enter, and had to back out in horror. “Oh, god.” I fled back to the Impala, and was panting by the time I dived back into my seat. 

“What’s up?” Sam demanded.

“Let me see your knife,” I growled through my teeth.

“What for?” Sam asked.

“So I can gouge my eyes out.”

A chuckling Dean slid in, in time to hear my statement. “It was a beautiful, natural act, Mil.”

“It was a part of you I never wanted to see, Dean,” I corrected.

Dean laughed, and reached back to slap my knee. “Hey, I appreciate you guys giving me a little quality time with the Doublemint Twins.”

“No problem,” I muttered quietly, sort of truthfully.

“Really?” was Dean’s response. “Well, I got to say, I was expected a weary sigh or an eye roll, something.”

“Not at all,” I defended myself, still smiling. “You deserve to have a little fun.”

“Well, I’m in violent agreement with you there,” Dean chuckled. He addressed Sam. “What’s Bobby got?”

“Not much,” Sam answered promptly. I could hear in his voice a relief in the change of subject. I seconded that. “Crop failure and a cicada swarm outside of Lincoln, Nebraska. Could be demonic omens.”

“Or in could just be a bad crop and a bug problem,” Dean offered.

“Yeah, but it’s our only lead,” Sam said.

“Any freaky deaths?” I inquired, knowing our first stop could be the morgue. It wasn’t tough getting back into the mindset, after at least three or four weeks off (I’d lost track), just like riding a bike.