Chapter 16

As expected, exams were easier when you came prepared.

First day of midterms week and I could see some students getting stressed as they crammed reviewing for their subjects. One of those students was Alice.

"Sinabi ko na sa 'yo na simulan mo nang mag-review a week ago pa," I told her as she tried to escape the reality of her situation by slamming the book shut.

"I'm not like you, Steff, na magre-retain ang information sa utak for a week!" reklamo niya. "Minsan nga ilang oras lang ay nawawala na sa utak ko ang pinagsasabi sa lectures."

Yna, on the other hand, was only having problems with Filipino classes. "I don't understand this," she muttered while pointing at a phrase on the book.

Jess helped Yna with her notes, while I tried to reason to Alice. Mabuti na lang talaga at medyo masipag silang mag-notes kaya at least ay madali silang matulungan.

Everyone was too busy this week that we barely had the time to even eat together. Mabuti na lang at last day na ngayon kaya kahit papaano ay nakahinga na ako nang maluwag. I just finished my last exam, too. The three still had exams 'til afternoon kaya naman mag-isa ako ngayon sa garden na kumakain.

I was just munching on some chocolate bars that I bought from home since I had no energy left to go to the cafeteria. Besides, it was noon, and the sun was scorching hot. Idagdag pa na nakaka-drain ang exam namin sa Math 36.

Fortunately, we already had a newly hired driver after Dad finished personally screening the applicants. Naka-leave pa rin kasi si kuya Felix at magiging busy na rin siya sa company kaya kailangan na ng maghahatid-sundo sa amin ni Ven. I was about to text kuya Ronald, our new driver, to fetch me since I was tired, when a familiar face sat right in front of me.

Isang ngiti ang isinalubong ni Darryl at hindi ko alam ang dapat kong i-react. We were not supposed to bothering each other already, so how come he was here? But at the same time, seeing him was kind of strange since we weren't on speaking terms since last week after what happened.

"Tapos na exams mo?" tanong niya at agad na kumunot ang noo ko.

I leaned closer to him to lessen the chance of people eavesdropping. "I thought we had a deal?"

Nagulat naman ako nang bigla rin siyang lumapit kaya medyo napaatras ako. "I'm treating you for lunch."

I was taken aback that it took me a few seconds before I could reply. "W-wait. For what? And you said you'd honor our deal—"

"I did," he said, cutting me off. "Hindi kita kinausap at ginulo for a week, but Mom insisted that I should treat you for lunch or dinner after that night. Plus, mataas ang nakuha ko sa project dahil sa ginawa natin."

"That night? What do you mean?"

"The night we shot the videos. Dahil hindi ka raw nakakain at kasalanan ko." I was about to reply, but his gaze shifted to the snack that I was eating. "Steff, don't tell me 'yan ang lunch mo?"

I immediately averted his gaze. "No."

"You know, you are such a terrible liar," he chuckled.

Pagkatapos ko siyang samaan ng tingin ay agad din akong napabuntonghininga. I admit, mataas din ang nakuha kong grade sa project at hindi rin ako nakapagpasalamat nang maayos that night dahil nagmamadali ako kaya a part of me was willing to accept it. However, dealing with him again would just entertain nasty gossips and rumors again.

"Oh, since favorite mo rin ang strawberries at chocolates, I can buy them and some desserts for you."

Para namang nagningning ang mata ko nang marinig ko 'yon. I couldn't believe I was baited by that. Medyo nagc-crave pa naman ako sa chocolate cake ngayon.