Chapter 15

The thing about rumors was that they were often blown out of proportions.

I was peacefully reading reference books in the library when I overheard a conversation behind the shelves.

"Omg did you hear the news about Darryl and Steff?"

"Yup! May nakakita raw kay Steff na papunta sa bahay nina Darryl."

"I guess they are still going strong."

"Right? I have always thought they're a business couple."

"Business couple?"

"I mean like they are just using each other to boost their fame."

They were already writing their own fiction and I couldn't stand that any longer. Mabilis kong inilagay ang earphones sa tenga ko at nilakasan ang volume ng kanta. As if fate was toying with me, the music player played the song I was practicing for the project.

Mukhang mas lalo pang kakalat ang rumors dahil may practice ulit kami ngayon sa bahay nila. I needed to cover my tracks this time so they wouldn't know what would happen. Wait. Or we could clarify that we were just practicing for our music project since we were partners.

Dahil nag-drift na ang isip ko tungkol doon ay hindi na ako makapag-focus sa pagbabasa, which was frustrating because the midterms would be in two weeks. Inilabas ko na lang ang earphones ko at nakinig ng music. But fate seemed to be playing with me because the first song to play was The Story of Us.

Coincidentally, today would also be our shooting day. Fortunately, tapos na ang make up classes ko 'pag weekend kaya okay lang kahit medyo ma-late ako ng uwi mamayang gabi.

Niligpit ko ang gamit ko para pumunta sa last class ko for this day. What I liked about BSBA in this university was that the only major subject for first year first semester was Math 36. Pero ang nakakainis din ay 'yung electives pa madalas ang demanding sa course requirements, but what could I do? Every grade would affect my general weighted average, so might as well put effort into everything.

After our Philo class ay dumiretso ako sa garden. Dad had to meet clients 'til 6 p.m., so Darryl suggested to just ride together with him. I was worried that rumors will arise again if someone sees us "going home" together, although it was just for the project. Somehow, I envied him for his nonchalance about the gossip articles and rumors.

As if on cue, his name appeared on my screen.

"Hello?" bungad ko nang sagutin ko ang tawag.

"Steff, saan ka banda?"

For a second, I was taken aback, but regained my composure. "Uhm, sa garden," I replied.

"Okay, I'm on my way. See you!"

He ended the call, but I was still staring at my screen. Maybe because I was used to him calling me by that cringeworthy endearment that it felt strange to be called by my name. Like that night, too, during our first practice.

"Oh, please, come to your senses," I mumbled after realizing I was thinking too deeply about that.

Few minutes later, Darryl arrived and suddenly, people were staring at us. Right. To them, we were dating, and honestly, the rumors had already gone too far that denying it would just backfire, especially since we somehow fanned the flames before.

"Tara na?"

Agad naman akong tumayo at kinuha ang gamit ko. I was surprised when he got hold of one of my bags from me. Nagdala kasi ako ng extrang damit na gagamitin ko for the recording. I quietly followed him to the parking lot and their driver was already waiting for us there. It was still a bit frightening to ride a car that wasn't ours and without Dad, but kuya Peter was a gentle driver and very personable, so some of my worries got pushed at the back of my mind.