C h a p t e r T w e l v e

© Amber Kalkes 2015

Song: "Never Let You Down" By WOODKID {Ft. Lykke Li}

C h a p t e r T w e l v e >

Blood stained hands shake in her lap as Poppy stares at them with teary eyes. She hasn't found the strength to wash herself. She hasn't even had the strength to get off the floor. All she can do is stare at the mess she'd made and the pain she's caused written clearly on her hands.

Laura had it coming, she knows that as well as anyone else but what scares Poppy is that she couldn't stop herself. She couldn't stop her wolf. She thought her mate would explain why her wolf acts the way she does but even that doesn't make any sense. He's human. Just a regular human man. So why can't she control her wolf? Why can't she just be...normal?

"You need to wash up Poppy," Cassidy tells her softly, making Poppy remember she's even in the room in the first place, "You'll drive yourself crazy if you don't."

"Like I'm not already."

"Poppy..."

"Is Colton mad?"

Cassidy's silent for a moment before moving off the bed to sit next Poppy on the floor, "He's mad but not at you."

"He should be."

"He knows how hard it is for you."

Poppy wants to argue but instead asks, "How's Laura?"'

"Stable. Healing. She should be perfectly fine by tomorrow evening."

Poppy nods and looks down at her hands again. It's a relief to know she didn't cause any serious damage and since Laura is a shifter as well, the healing won't take long. She knows how painful it will be though and winces at the thought. Samuel will definitely be making her pay for that.

"Rae went in to talk to him and Hudson is trying to arrange some kind of meeting with the Alpha council."

"He'll be trying until that stupid beard of his falls off," Poppy says with a snort before going to wipe her wet cheek but seeing the blood again, "Alpha council only pops up on serious big matters, if they even exist. I'm starting to think they're more like Santa Claus than a reality anyway."

"You could die Poppy. That's a serious matter."

"Not to them it isn't. Samuel was right; he's probably doing the rest of the packs a favor by killing me."

"Don't say things like that!"Cassidy jumps up from the ground and stares at Poppy with wide scared eyes, "Laura had it coming and just because her dick ass of a mate doesn't see what a bitch she is then he's the one who needs to be punished! Connor told me everything! He told me what she's been doing to you while I was gone and the awful things she said! She pushed you!"

"She did but I took it too far."

"He's not even an Alpha! He can't hand off punishments!"

"His daddy is an Alpha so the chances of him becoming one are a little better than most."

"But he still isn't an Alpha," Cassidy argues as she starts to pace, "I don't even know why Colton even listened to him at all. If I were him I would have beaten the hell out of him for even suggesting this."

"Colton doesn't want to start a war...he's being a good politician."

"But you're his family."

Poppy throws her head back and groans, "You're so naïve Cassidy."